Capt Charles. F Rand

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Everyone:
I am selling this photo for a friend on Ebay. Before I list it, I was hoping for some comments from forum members who might be able to tell me the approx time period (obviously post Civil War) and the names of some of the decorations worn by this individual. The full inscription Hand written in ink at the botom of the pic is Capt. F. Rand Vet. Res. Corps. USN. I could be wrong on the last name as some letters in the inscription are hard to decipher....It might be Reid??? This man certainly has a chest full of medals. I would appreciate some help here guys. Thanks, Brian

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

Brian

I am not well versed on decorations of that period, but the left medal middle row and bottem medal both resemble the symbol of the G.A.R., (Grand Army of the Republic), a Veteran's organization of Civil War Vets.

Geo

Those could be GAR medals, I don't really know, but the very first medal on the left sure looks like the 1896 version of the Medal of Honor to me, although I can't find a Navy officer named Russell on the list.

medalofhonor1896ir1.gif

I'm inclined to think as Steve. A naval captain would have fringe on his epaulettes, sleeve rank, and collar braid. Also, I believe the USN sword belt buckle was round. The third decoration from left is the Military Society of the Army of the Potomac Badge. Furthermore, the USN Medal of Honor (1861-1913) was suspended from a fasces framed star and anchor.

The first medal indeed appears to be the Army Medal of Honor, and the ribbon is of the second design (1896-1904). I did locate a Civil War citation for a Charles L. Russell.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm

My conclusion is USA dress blue uniform, post 1896.

Chas.

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone on the medal of honuor list with thlast name Ressed?? I am dealing with a hand written inscription here and it is hard to make out some of the lower case letters. Re this uniform looking like army, this could be the case as again the "N" as USN could in fact be a fancy "A". Does anyone know of a decent Civil War forum? The square belt buckle in the pic has a central spread winged eagle surrounded by what looks like the traditional wreaths of oak or laurel. There is definately no naval type of fouled anchor which one would associate with the Navy. Brian

Hi Brian:

Here's your man!

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/charlesf.htm

RAND, CHARLES F.

Rank and organization: Private, Company K, 12th New York Infantry. Place and date: At Blackburns Ford, Va., 18 July 1861. Entered service at: Batavia, N.Y. Birth: Batavia, N.Y. Date of issue: 23 October 1897. Citation: Remained in action when a part of his regiment broke in disorder, joined another company, and fought with it through the remainder of the engagement.

Do I win a prize?

Chas.

ottodog8 said:
Are you sure he was a naval officer? Uniform looks more army to my untrained eye.
Steve
Steve,

You're absolutely right! :lol: I was mainly looking at the medals and not the coat. I saw the double row of buttons and just thought "Navy", but that's an army uniform.

Never saw that version of the MOH, very interesting. The lower medal is a G.A.R. medal:

http://suvcw.org/gar.htm

http://garmuslib.org/

Sorry Chas...no prize, just my thanks! Thanks also to the other members who submitted some comments and helpfull suggestions. Funny how the picture shown on Chas' link is so similar to the actual photo that I am going to be selling. Can anyone venture a guess as to what the neck order is?? On the Arlngton link he appears to have this pinned on his chest. It reminds me of a snow flake in shape. It will be interesting to see what this goes for on ebay. One would also wonder how this ended up here in the Great White North. Brian

I can only identify three of Captain Rand's medals:

Medal of Honor (1896 issue)
Grand Army of the Republic Medal
Military Society of the Army of the Potomac Badge

The remaining decorations are most likely a mix of New York Militia, encampment, veteran, or reunion medals.

Chas.

Back