Cardboard ersatz helmet

kaiser

This is another cardboard or papier mache helmet as they are called
This one has also the counterdisc munted under the spike instead of on the inside where it normaly should be(seems that this feature pops up more and more but still not a conclusive answor has been given on this )
It is in one piece and normaly there are helmets that have fiberboard visors stitched onto the cardboard shell
This type of helmet has the split brads instead of those loops that we al see on the EM helmetplate
The chinstrap is not original on this helmet so need to find a better one

20211229_204309.jpg20211229_204322.jpg20211229_204339.jpg20211229_204421.jpg20211229_204451.jpg20211229_204501.jpg20211229_204509.jpg20211229_204612.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice helmet!
If I see it right, the counter, or supportdisc was always there, meaning from the day it left the factory.
Because it has exactly the same colour as the helmet has.

Congratulations Jonas, :bravo:

Greetings, Coert :)

A nice one. I noticed that it is a size 58 and has a #2 rear vent. May I ask you to measure the distance from the spike bass to the edge of the rear visor (along side the spine)? Thanks.

Thank you all for the nice comments on this pretty rare helmet
Wil do so if you need something else from measurments feel free to ask
16.8 cm is the lenght from bottom to just aside the spike base
At first i was a bis sceptic on the way the plate was mounted on the helmet by those split brads becose it is the first time that i have seen on e like this
But here on the forum i found an post where it was explained with those split brads but unfortunatly the pictures are most of them gone
I will not take of the wappen but if i peek thru those little hole's i can see old solering and the plate left olso the "ghost" into the shellac so its always been that way

Greets

A true survivor that one! I can not imagine going to war in a cardboard hat :-?

b.loree said:
A true survivor that one! I can not imagine going to war in a cardboard hat :-?
I'd be thinking ''im cannonfodder !'' and wondering if it would help if I wore it with the cover. :eek:

I would think it would go straight thru ,well thinking nah knowing, it would make no diffrence with or without a cover
I know i would not be thrilled to go out of the trenches with this type of helmet
As a gentleman i am i would let everybody go first

Jonas

That's a fine addition to any collection! Very nice indeed. Leather, cardboard... I guess there are reasons they developed the M-16 Stahlhelm.

:D Ron

How did I almost miss this one #-o , well done Jonas ! =D> =D> =D>

Welcome to the forum leib :wink:

Thanks guys for the nice comments ,by the way is 2nd leibhussar who i think he is or is he not .......

Hmm suspicious ,very suspisious 👻👻👻👻

Jonas

I believe he is the guy I bought some nice stuff from at the Militaria fair at Houten, in the Netherlands. :wink:
But I,m not sure off-course.
If so he has a nice website. :)

Greetz, Coert :thumb up:

Think i nailed him ,know him personaly our mistery guy i did more than once buisnes with him ,he is a great guy

Jonas

Back