Cartoons

joerookery

Not exactly photographs I was looking at a few cartoons....
propoganda.jpg

Wonderful stuff Joe - here's a few more to whet the appetite.

4244364966_414fd87bab_b.jpg

3503240452_ea77153a07_b.jpg

3851819282_7a6f72b951_b.jpg

3446280844_926491378a_b.jpg

3367059969_ecc87a036d_o.jpg

3720505396_952e7a0d2a_b.jpg

3872018525_8a71325f2a_b.jpg

4048247714_583391ae69_b.jpg

4164245461_707a0cd7f7_b.jpg

3541178804_d509d9183d_b.jpg

Finally, not exactly a cartoon, but certainly one of my favourite pieces of Great War artistry "Europa Trauert":

3508300197_9d0c209be9_b.jpg

Here are a few I had on hand, I can not find my fovorite, I guess it is time to clean the office.
Mauer.jpg

Here is a card sent to Hans Mauer from his sister, Herr Mauer was a OYV with Infantry Regt 96, who served in the eastern frount and was shot through the hand on 19. November 1914 during the siege of Chelmno.
Holzner.jpg

This is a classic Austrian card, sent to Ferinand Holzner of the Mounted Tirolean Kaisersschützen, this card was found in the breast pocket of his tunic.
Hooper.jpg

A British card sent to a Mr Hooper
Metz.jpg

This is a card sent to Frl Marie Metz from her friend Herr Wahl
Schimunek.jpg

Here is another austrian card sent to a soldier's sister in 1915
Beherns.jpg

Here is a card sent by H Bahrens to his friend J Dannemann, discribing army life in a poetic manner

Robert,

That link wins hands down!!! I was not aware of it. I have looked for something like this forever. Thank you for showing that to us. Seems like cartoons are a good thing -- time to do more...

102uh3p.jpg

A propaganda postcard, suggesting there is still food enough despite the British blockade. A photographer from Leipzig: Ed. Kroemer.
Date unknown to me. Perhaps 1914-1915?

Didn't bother with the newspaper with this morning's Earl Grey and Vegemite on toast, simplicissimus.com had me riveted. Cheers for the link Robert.

drakegoodman said:
Didn't bother with the newspaper with this morning's Earl Grey and Vegemite on toast, simplicissimus.com had me riveted. Cheers for the link Robert.

I wasted a day (if you can really call it that) looking at many of the volumes there.
Gus

I realised later, that I posted above a photo in stead of a drawing / cartoon. To correct my error another contribution of a cartoon.
This is a German, propaganda, anti- Entente cartoon, designed by R. Grischy.
The translation is:
"The World War
Shut up ! You gang of robbers!"

166ywlj.jpg

Another one, dated (post mark) 06.10.1914:
Translation in my broken English:
"For every shot a Russian
Every Japanese a hit on his"nese"
Every kick another Brit
Every thrust a Frenchman
Be quiet, we will get you all!"

mrg64x.jpg

I´m happy to see that you like the Simplicissimus magazine. It was located on the liberal side and opposed to military snobbishness, the church, the haughty upper class etc. - actually the entire establishment. Many gags are related to period events and a bit difficult to understand without knowing the background.

In the first weeks of the war they shifted to more patriotic motifs of course as did all print media.

The English POW: "The German barbarism is shocking - how dare they imprison me together with my allies?"

simpl10.jpg

The Frenchman to his Arabian allies: "Please excuse our cold weather - we will send you into the fire first!"

simpl11.jpg

Sometimes there is some descreet irony in the scenes.
Facing victory - "Guys, we are through Belgium now. There is England!"

simpl12.jpg

Keeping eith the cartoon theme, heree are some cartoons from "Wally", most of us in the States know Bill Mauldin's "Willy and Joe", and those of you in Blighty surely know of Bruce Barnsfather's "Old Bill" but Private Albain Wallgren's "Wally" is not as widely known, following are a few helpfull hints from "Wally, his cartoons of the A.E.F."
Project2.jpg

Project4.jpg

Project3-1.jpg

Project1-3.jpg

Project5.jpg

Project6.jpg

Back