DSC08573.JPG
    727.8 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC08572.JPG
    DSC08572.JPG
    887.4 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC08571.JPG
    DSC08571.JPG
    885.6 KB · Views: 957
I use it, but a lot of it is useless, a lot of items are dug out of the ground.Cleaning them takes a long time. I am sending you an illustrative photo and thank you for your opinion.

Attachments

• 20170829_070859.jpg
    20170829_070859.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 924
I used to fix things like that, but I don't like it anymore, I was wasting too much time.

Attachments

• DSC05202.JPG
    DSC05202.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 920
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 920
Yes things dug out of the ground are too rusted and pitted from being in the earth. You can’t use them as they look bad. I bought some dug chin strap buckles off eBay but they can’t be used. :thumbsdown:

I've used some dug brass items as they can be cleaned up, but ferrous items usually are to pitted.

Great work from your photos. I just started taking apart a brass chinscales that is missing one link and the male attaching post. I have planned on using one of the repro set I got from eBay. I have done some filling the sides of the two new parts, they will be a temporary fix until I find some original parts, but they are better than no way of attaching the two chinscales. Thanks for your photos; they provide the encouragement I need to continue the repair. :thumb up:
Best regards,
John

I have rebuilt a couple of chinscales in my day and have used heavy duty staples .
They com in different sizes and I was able to find some just the right size.

Thank you for confirming what I have seen as well. Luckily, my wife dabbles in repairing old chairs, and we have a variety of staples on hand any given day.

Hi John
If you’re looking for the ‘mushroom’ lug, [email protected] can supply. Afraid I don’t know the quality yet as I’m only just ordering mine, but something to bear in mind
7226BDFC-AEE5-4704-BC30-F0FB1210DAD6.jpeg
Cheers
Jeremy

pickelhauben said:
I have rebuilt a couple of chinscales in my day and have used heavy duty staples .
They com in different sizes and I was able to find some just the right size.

Hi, could you tell me what size staples you’ve used as I’ve tried to find some and failed dismally :(
Cheers
Jeremy

I ordered male and female scale ends from the Polish dealer a couple of years ago. The quality is very good in my opinion.

It's good that this Polish company makes mistakes on purpose, otherwise in a few years, hardly anyone would guess a copy.https://spikehelmets.pl/english/products/pickelhaubes.html

Hi Folks,
Thank you much for the information about parts for chinscales and other replacement items. :thumb up: I will have to check it all out. I will try and post a picture of the original staples I found on the ones I am repairing and compare them to the different staples I will raid from my wife's staple guns. :wink:
Best regards,
John

JohnS3rd said:
Hi Folks,
Thank you much for the information about parts for chinscales and other replacement items. :thumb up: I will have to check it all out. I will try and post a picture of the original staples I found on the ones I am repairing and compare them to the different staples I will raid from my wife's staple guns. :wink:
Best regards,
John
Hello John,

There is a set of damaged chinscales on sale today, which I saw at the weekly update of the webshop I regularly visit.

https://www.kpemig.de/Schuppenkette-fuer-eine-Pickelhaube-defekt

It might be of interest to you.

Greetings, Coert.

Coert.
Thank you very much for the link This looks like a good site for acquiring hard to get parts. I appreciate the information very much, but I believe I have what I need to repair the chinscales I have.
Best regards,
John

Hello Folks,
I was able to find my wife's staples and have some to show next to the original staple removed, the staple from the reproduction chinscale set. The original "Staples" come in various sizes, and I determined that 3/8 of an inch or 8mm are closest to the original one. The US-made staples are closes to the original All the staples, original, Indian, and the US manufactured stapes are all magnetic. I hope this helps y'all.
Best regards,
John

Chinscale Pieces with staples original, indian, us straight, us pointed.JPG
Chinscale Staples original, indian, us straight, us pointed.JPG
staples original,  us straight, us pointed.JPG

Thank you very much for the photos, this message will definitely be useful! Please say hello to your wife.

Back