Chip Minx's passing

mike kelso

Sorry to inform all that Chip MInx passed earlier this month after fighting cancer for 3 years. As many will know Chip was most a knowledgeable collector of Imperial German items especially shoulder insignia. His informed answers will be sorely missed. His obituary can be found on-line. RIP!

Mike

I was waiting to hear this, but it doesn't numb the shock. We have corresponded and been friends since the 1980s.

He had recovered enough in May 2018 to finally visit. A marvelous few days with my friend with the encyclopedic knowledge of Imperial insignia.

Here he is in The Bunker, a photo I told him I needed as evidence he actually came up. I can't believe he is gone.

Chip May 2018.JPG

One more point .
Chip for years had plans / hopes to do a book on Imperial German shoulder straps .
He had to put aside those plans when he got sick .
Then Mike Kelso did his great book on straps .
I kept telling Chip to go ahead with his plans for the book because
it would be very different in focus from Mike's book.
Chip's collection was almost all enlisted man 's straps
with a special interest on wartime models
Too bad that it will now never be done
Steve

So sorry to hear the news. The Collectors Bulletin helped get me started in this wonderful hobby. pionierhorn (Alan Gearhard)

Sorry to hear of Chips passing. Met Homs few times at St. Paul military show, always had answers to my questions! He will be missed!

Great guy I had the honor of knowing, met him numerous times at the Minneapolis/St. Paul show, and was lucky enough to have him sit at our tables a couple years at the SOS.

God Bless

James

I never met Chip but I certainly knew him by reputation. Seems like he was a fixture on the Imperial collecting scene. I first knew of him when he was a member of the production team of the old "Kaiserzeit" magazine back in the 70's. The hobby will be diminished by his loss.

I did not know this until recently, but most the sketches in the old Kaiserzeit magazine where done by Chip!

James

This is a terrible loss to his family and also to the collector community to whom he graciously pass on his wisdom and knowledge. Rest easy Chip.

I first became aware of Chip in the 1980’s through his collectors newsletter. Then I was fortunate to meet him two years running recently at the SOS when he spent some time at our tables. A true gentleman with an encyclopaedic knowledge of our area of collecting. I also worked on one of his Bavarian helmets which he brought to me at the Show. He will be greatly missed.

I am shocked and sad to hear that Chip died last year. I remember that his parents and then his wife were not well and then we unfortunately lost contact.

I remember (about 2005/6) the first Skype conversations with Chip. In the beginning I didn't have a camera for my Skype and Chip said I should get one - which I did. Also I bought a Kaiser-Wilhelm fake-beard, which I stuck under my nose for the next video call with Chip.
I still remember well Chip astonished face. Wide open eyes & mouth, and his face came closer and closer to the monitor!
At first he thought the beard was real.

In summer 2008 he was in Germany (with his sons) and I met him! He stayed few days with us, and then he went with his sons to Verdun and Paris, Heidelberg, Berlin etc… Chip had booked a rental car from the States, but when we went to pick up the car at the rental agency - there was no car with automatic transmission/gear! And Chip hadn't driven a manual gearbox for a very long time, but no other vehicle was available, so Chip had to take it. The first meters on the parking place were very funny to watch, it had something of a rodeo rider (but with car)!

Chip was a great guy - with a lot of humor!!!
Jens

Last edited:
I am shocked and sad to hear that Chip died last year. I remember that his parents and then his wife were not well and then we unfortunately lost contact.

I remember (about 2005/6) the first Skype conversations with Chip. In the beginning I didn't have a camera for my Skype and Chip said I should get one - which I did. Also I bought a Kaiser-Wilhelm fake-beard, which I stuck under my nose for the next video call with Chip.
I still remember well Chip astonished face. Wide open eyes & mouth, and his face came closer and closer to the monitor!
At first he thought the beard was real.

In summer 2008 he was in Germany (with his sons) and I met him! He stayed few days with us, and then he went with his sons to Verdun and Paris, Heidelberg, Berlin etc… Chip had booked a rental car from the States, but when we went to pick up the car at the rental agency - there was no car with automatic transmission/gear! And Chip hadn't driven a manual gearbox for a very long time, but no other vehicle was available, so Chip had to take it. The first meters on the parking place were very funny to watch, it had something of a rodeo rider (but with car)!

Chip was a great guy - with a lot of humor!!!
Jens
Fun story
Thanks
Steve

I know I’m dating myself, but when I was a member of the I.G.M.C.A. I wrote Chip a couple of times regarding articles in the newsletter “Kaiserzeit” Always got a nice response from him. I know he also did some of the illustrations for the newsletter.
I’m guessing there are probably some I.G.M.C.A. alums here? (I actually still have my membership card). Sorry I never had a chance to meet him.

Dennis

I know I’m dating myself, but when I was a member of the I.G.M.C.A. I wrote Chip a couple of times regarding articles in the newsletter “Kaiserzeit” Always got a nice response from him. I know he also did some of the illustrations for the newsletter.
I’m guessing there are probably some I.G.M.C.A. alums here? (I actually still have my membership card). Sorry I never had a chance to meet him.

Dennis
Dennis ;
Steve McFarland
I think that I G M C A membership card is # 32
so you talk about dating yourself !
Steve

Back