Colonial Cap Eagle

SCHUPO

Gents,

I have a rather scarce cap insignia of the Colonial Schutztruppen / Polizeitruppen that I thought I would show. I was not certain what it was when I bought it at a show but research determined it is seemingly an insignia only worn by specific Senior NCO Portepeeunteroffizier in the Colonial Troops. Specifically, it is a gelb (gold) color Colonial eagle (Adler Wappen) that is 1 5/8" x 1 1/4" with two flat prongs to attach to a Mutze (cap), Hut (hat), or Troppenhelm (pith helmet). A white eagle was worn by a Zahlmeister but this gold eagle was worn by a Rossartz, Oberbuchsenmacher, or a Polizeimeister. The first two served in the Schutztruppen while the last mentioned was in the separate Colonial Polizeitruppen. These specific Senior NCOs could also wear Colonial Officer swords and sword knots (Portepee), hence their titles as a Portepeeunteroffizier, although not all Unteroffizier mit Portepee were authorized to wear this small eagle insignia.

Attachments

• Pol troop badge2.JPG
    Pol troop badge2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Pol Trupp back.JPG
    Pol Trupp back.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Pol Trupp Meister badge.JPG
    Pol Trupp Meister badge.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Pol Trupp Meister.JPG
    Pol Trupp Meister.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Pol Trupp caps.JPG
    Pol Trupp caps.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Pol Trupp books.JPG
    Pol Trupp books.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 22
That's an excellent looking cap insignia. Thanks for posting it, and congratulations on acquiring it.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Gents,

I have a rather scarce cap insignia of the Colonial Schutztruppen / Polizeitruppen that I thought I would show. I was not certain what it was when I bought it at a show but research determined it is seemingly an insignia only worn by specific Senior NCO Portepeeunteroffizier in the Colonial Troops. Specifically, it is a gelb (gold) color Colonial eagle (Adler Wappen) that is 1 5/8" x 1 1/4" with two flat prongs to attach to a Mutze (cap), Hut (hat), or Troppenhelm (pith helmet). A white eagle was worn by a Zahlmeister but this gold eagle was worn by a Rossartz, Oberbuchsenmacher, or a Polizeimeister. The first two served in the Schutztruppen while the last mentioned was in the separate Colonial Polizeitruppen. These specific Senior NCOs could also wear Colonial Officer swords and sword knots (Portepee), hence their titles as a Portepeeunteroffizier, although not all Unteroffizier mit Portepee were authorized to wear this small eagle insignia.
This post is really instructive for me. Thx.

Back