Colonial cap-East Africa

chinstrap

Wondered if this might be of interest to anybody?

Item 021 , p4 of new listings

http://www.militaryantiques.co.uk/showpagec.ihtml?cat=404&jump=4&sess=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patrick

Discussed the same or similar here:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D Ron

He has a strange pricing strategy for a professional seller. He is asking for £885 now after it did not sell for the same amount in US$. Both seems much too cheap if its really original.

I had asked him about the eagle and asked for a picture of the eagle's reverse side. He said it is fastened with a pin but would not remove it for a picture.

BTW, here is a nice plate that was sold by Hermann Historica. I think it went for over €1000.- alone without the hat.

Tarbusch_HH.jpg

So... the saga continues! :-k It's really difficult sometimes with some replicas being so good to satisfy reenactors, one has to have some real knowledge on a lot of this stuff!

:D Ron

As mentioned in the other thread, this was just a cover for the Tarbusch, so the floppiness is to be expected. I think the cover went over a wicker frame but I've never seen one up close to examine the frame. The detachable neckshade on this one is VERY ODD. They were usually sewn on. Here's an example from the Bavarian Army museum-
askari%20tarbusch%20t.jpg

Cheers
Chris

Chris-
You are right about the floppiness, but I still think the example for sale lacks the stiching around the top. it doesn't seem like this one has seams or that sticking unfortunately.

It seems like every colonial power used these too. Wonder why we don't see more?

Hi Peter,

I'd not noticed the stitching, I think you're right though.

I think we see more Tropical Helmets (luckily for you :) ) because British, German or US servicemen brought them home after their service abroad. Africans wearing a fez or Tarbusch didn't leave Africa very often so neither would their headgear. One or two might be brought back for a museum, but most would have stayed in Africa and when the colonial powers left I doubt if their old owners cared about them too much... this is all just guesswork and speculation of course...

France is the exception, where lots of French Africans served in Europe... and the French museums have a fair few fezzes and suchlike. I'll try to post some photos from Les Invalides sometime...

Cheers
Chris

Back