Colonial Uberzug?

joerookery

Don't know much about these maybe Corky can comment. No that is not my fingerprint. No that is not my coffee stain. Yes both of those are indeed part of the picture now. I would blame Gus but he has no hands.
colonial.jpg

colonial_1.jpg

Great photo ! Notice the higher profile of the helmet. This is unlike the U.S. style as we discussed on the one someone was trying to pass off on ebay. Plus the cork is much thicker and the cloth is a heavier quality. Corky

The shape of the breast pocket is very different than any I have seen, the finger print does look familiar, and are you sure that is a coffee stain?
Gus

I would say its insect netting over top of the Pith. They had a special net just for haubes as well. Probably just pulled up for the photo.

Pete

Hey Joe

He's armed with a Gewehr 88 and what looks like a S71/84 bayonet. :D

Dispells a statement I saw somewhere at another forum where it was claimed that Commission Rifles were not used in Afrika.

All in all a terrific picture.

Geo

I did an article on the Schutztruppen last year and I have found a number of photos of them armed with Gew/Kar 88s.

The article was printed in the U.S. publication THE SHOTGUN NEWS last year. I'm afraid it's not online although I can give you the address if you'd care to see if they have any back issues?

I have completed an article on the Boxer Rebellion and have quite a few photos of German (among other) troops in China. But they're on my PC and so I can't post them here.

Sorry. :oops:

After looking at that photo some more, I think he's a Seebatallione (Imperial German Marine Corps) not a member of the Schutztruppe.

This is indeed a mysterious photo. I've come to the conclusion it's early DOA Schutztruppe, probably 1889-91. The helmet is perfect for that era, tall with a khaki cover, as were issued and the cockade was worn on the outside as seen here.

The tunic is slightly different cut from what I've seen in illustrations of them at the time, but there's so few good photos of the Wissmanntruppe to compare him with.

Cheers
Chris

Back