Cut-Down Mod 1860 or later?

seagull

Another sadly abused old warrior bought from an old friend selling up some years ago. Someone extensively messed with it, adding a (wrong) new leather tongue to one side of the (real but still not correct) chinscales - but not addressing the lack of a buckle on the opposite side !, probably added the 115mm Line Eagle wappen (which fits perfectly), and somehow 'made' a strange rear spine (complete with hammer marks- now in the junk box). At the same time they failed to rectify the missing stitches in both visors, the wreckage of the liner and the missing rear portion of the cross base for the spike. Well, my wife knows about my propensity for bringing home waifs and strays (brought home a stray horse one time, but that is another story). The leather of this helmet is by far the thickest of any I have, probably the reason the skull is still in pretty good shape, even the two visors are about 3mm thick and the rear inner skull is reinforced with another thick leather 'insert'. I have wondered if this was perhaps a Mod 1860 reduced in height or is it a later Line Dragoon ? There are no visible markings on the very dark interior so I get no clues there and can only go by what I see which is:
- The Mod 1860 EM broken cross spike base (I can repair that.) with a spike that unscrews, for a regiment permitted the Haarbusch, the 'ghost' on the leather says this is original to the skull.
- The damaged spike base is attached by one (original) split brad and two (original) screws but one has a modern nut and washer.
- The square front visor with the remains of an EM heavy gauge brass trim (I may be able to fix that - I certainly don't expect to find one).
- The (now absent) rear spine has two fixing points and no vent hole - should it have the plain EM un-ventilated spine with internal or external screw bolts/brads?
- The Chinscale fixtures: I had initially wondered if steel screw bolts were appropriate? but then noticed that the holes at the side show a really small hole alongside each, one of which has the minute remains of a metal pin inside it: does this indicate use of the 1891 Knopf? whatever was once there is long gone.

I appreciate that this old warrior is something most people would hide under an Uberzug but I would like to make it right, as it was in its last honest incarnation, so would appreciate any comments, advice or wild speculation! I know this is going to increase my "Wanted Ad" list and cost me, but you either care about these relics of the past or you don't. I do.
Thanks for looking, Steve.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 28
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 28
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 26
  • interior.JPG
    interior.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 26
  • rear reinforcement.JPG
    rear reinforcement.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 1891knopf or 1860 bolts.JPG
    1891knopf or 1860 bolts.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 24
  • front visor trim.JPG
    front visor trim.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 25
  • repaired flat scales and junk rear spine.JPG
    repaired flat scales and junk rear spine.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Steve, this is by all means a 1891 or 1895 Dragoner helmet, and not a 1860 model: shape of the skull, 5 ventilation holes in spike basis, shorter spike, grommeted holes for plate attachment...
Hence, the eagle plate is wrong.
Good luck for a demanding restoration.

And off we go! Thanks for giving me a solid start Bruno, much appreciated as always.
Best regards, Steve

And off we go! Thanks for giving me a solid start Bruno, much appreciated as always.
Best regards, Steve
You are welcome, Steve. I may be wrong, but do I discern a couple of rectangles on the left side of the rear bill? The photo is of low resolution though.

Just attempted to get better pictures of the inner rear visor in all kinds of different lighting conditions. I can't see any rectangles but there is/has been something written (?) just at the top where it joins at the skull. ~Will try some filters, resizing etc and post when I get through with that.
Steve

this is what the camera shows: above the bottom red line seems to be a set of (two?) numbers, the right one being a zero. Above them perhaps two more numbers, one of which may be a "5" - and to the right a series of smaller marks that remind me of the marks made by a sewing machine???
Best I can do and suggest nothing concrete to me. Doctor says my eyes are good - for my age. After this I can't say I agree with him.
Steve

Attachments

• right side.JPG
    right side.JPG
    646.4 KB · Views: 17
  • left side unfiltered.JPG
    left side unfiltered.JPG
    624.6 KB · Views: 17
  • numbers, maybe.png
    numbers, maybe.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited: