DCM Madness

Lost Skeleton

In recent years, I have become increasingly interested in collecting British and Commonwealth medals and decorations. Because they are named to the recipient, gallantry awards are documented and researchable through the London Gazette, Medal Index Cards, War Office and Admiralty records, and subsequently offer a new dimension of individuality to the hobby. As much as I like Iron Crosses, they are, by and large, anonymous. Furthermore, the likelihood of acquiring faked or fraudulent medals is considerably less than is the case with German awards (which have rapidly fallen victim to the fake of the month club).

One of the more challenging British medals to acquire is the Distinguished Conduct Medal. The following links provide useful background on this award:

http://www.britishwargraves.org.uk/newsite/medals/Distinguished_Conduct_Medal.htm

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group01/dcm

Until 1902, the obverse of the medal bore a trophy of arms, as exemplified by this Spink miniature from the Second Boer War. The full size medal, though identical, is actually a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal with an original DCM ribbon and included solely for scale. The loose ribbon came with the boxed miniatures

BWDCM.jpg

In 1895, a Dominion and Colonial variant was authorized. These bear the name of the issuing country or colony. The Natal DCM was awarded only nine times, and my unnamed, unissued example is perhaps the rarest example of government surplus in the world.

Colonial-DCM.jpg

This Great War DCM was awarded to Gunner J. M. Mortimer, Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Forces.

GVRDCM.jpg

Mortimer's number, name, and unit are impressed in capitals along the rim. The medal rests upon Mortimer's citation in the London Gazette.

Mortimer.jpg

Chas.

Very Nice , I did research for my friends GreatGrandfather who won the DCM for his actions on August 08th 1918 . He was in the 26th Battln CEF and was originally nominated for a VC . He was awarded the DCm in the field as noted inhis file .Lost his right arm below the elbow and lead a section to repulse a counter attack.
Very Interesting to see these as they are not very common .
Nice DCM.
Mark

Back