"Death Head Hussar?"

It’s an eBay auction which rolls into a rambling inaccurate history lesson. At any rate, no, this is not Imperial military. It’s some type of civilian hat with a fake skull on it. It’s not worth $50. The ‘description’ though is hilarious.

C57CFB27-BE31-4027-8AC8-3278065EDBFE.png

RARE 1900 IMPERIAL GERMAN BLACK LEIB HUSAREN DEATH HEAD HUSSAR REGIMENT HAT SS A.
This Post Franco-Prussian War hat is 100% wool from my collection and is dated to 1900 and has very few moth issues being over 120 years old. It is for a German Officer of the German Black Hussars Cavalry Death Heads Leib-Husaren-Regiment Unit. It features the Death Head with Cross Bones of the these Hussars and the Iron Cross that was awarded the Regiment Collectively during the Franco-Prussian War. Extremely rare and much rarer then any later made SS hat who copied them. They wore all black and also wore the Death Head with Crossed Bones. The later body guard known as the Allgemeine SS much later 100% copied their all black uniform color and insignia. The Allgemine SS also made an exact 100% copy of this German Hussar unit's skull and crossbones attachment on their early hat's and this one also bears the highly coveted Iron Cross on the brim which was awarded to the unit as a whole during the Franco Prussian War. The Prussian Emperors loved to wear the regalia of their favorite regiment which was the Black Death Head and Crossbones Hussars of their personal body guard of the all Black Death head Prussian Hussars Life Guards.

The Kaiser's favorite regiment, stationed in Potsdam, was the Hussars of the Life-Guard. This Brigade of the Emperors Life-Guard, or Death's Head, Hussars, were famous Prussian troopers who wore the emblem of the skull and crossbones (Totenkopf) on their black caps. This hat is about 1000 times more rare then most SS hat's. It is actually the only one I have ever seen that is not a copy. You can by copies of this hat for $350 on the internet but mine is the real deal for a little more and it is well over a 100 years old. My original here for sale is $898 plus shipping.

The Black Dearth head Hussars was created in 1741 by King Frederick II as 5th Husaren (Hussars) Regiment it was also called Schwarze Husaren Regiment (Black Hussar Regiment). In 1808, the regiment was divided into 1. Leib-Husaren-Regiment and 2. Leib-Husaren-Regiment. The 1. Leib-Husaren-Regiment stationed in Danzig. In 1861, the first regiment was officially called 1. Leib-Husaren-Regiment Nr. 1. Together with 2. Leib-Husaren-Regiment Königin Victoria von Preussen created Leib-Husaren-Brigade.

Back