Death of a Forum Member

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I just received a PM this morning informing me, that one of our longtime members Karel Van Bosstraeten has passed away. I was sent this information from one of our members who in turn received a message from Karel’s wife. We don’t have any further information as to cause of death. Karel had a fantastic collection and will be sorely missed by us all.

I'm so sorry hearing about this incredible loss. He shared many pieces of his marvellous collection and a lot of knowledge on this forum. Even if i never meet him in person his pursuit of perfection and top condition helmets was an inspiration for my collection. May he rest in peace. My sincerest condolescences to Karel's family.

I was thinking just yesterday that we had not heard of Karel/Adler for a while. He was one of the most inspiring collectors and the author of many of the most exciting posts on this forum; such a high exigence for quality!
Very sad news.

My sincere condolences to his family..
Karel will be missed by many, I always enjoyed seeing hs many posts, in which he shared much knowledge, and a most beautiful collection.

Rest In Peace Karel..

That is incredibly sad news to hear. My deepest condolences to his family.

Like Bruno mentions, I had also noticed that Karel had been quiet/absent here for quite some time. His excellent depth of knowledge and generosity in sharing with fellow collectors will be sorely missed.

A few years ago we worked out a trade deal on a couple of ersatz bayonets I had, and I was able to acquire an extra helmet from his collection, a superb quality Saxon 100th Regiment Eigentum helmet which I treasure in my collection.

Rest in Peace Karel.

Best Wishes,

Alan

I don't think we ever got to see a photo of Karel here.

Here's a nice image of him that I don't think he would mind us seeing.

Rest in Peace Karel.

Karel Van Bosstraeten.jpg

What a sad, terribly sad news. Karel was such a lovely man, very knowledgeable and so very helpful. I had a number of email exchnages with him in the past and enjoyed dealing with him.

My sincere condolences to his wife, family and all his friends.

He will be greatly missed here, on Pickelhaubes.com

Alex

I am mortified. Gael and I were arrive in Brussels 29 July 2020 to stay a few nights with Karel and family. We were just discussing a week ago that our trip to Belgium was Covid cancelled. Karel and I were discussing a visit next year. This is horrible news.

Just heard from a friend in France as well, sad, sad news.

I heard only 60 years old to boot...

James

What sad news .. at 60 years old!
I always appreciated his interventions and his knowledge, without knowing that he was a compatriot ...
My condolences to his family and friends

timp_be

Here is Karel's favourite set. I do not think Karel would mind me posting it here again. A standing Husar from Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.1 Danzig/Langfuhr) XVII Armee Korps.

Traumstück.

lhr102.jpg

Very sad news.

I enjoyed our long talkes about pickelhauben when we saw eachother at the Wavre militariafair.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Jeremy

I got just informed on a other forum...
Very sad indeed.
My deepest condolences to his love one's.

Met him once, I think it was last year when he came to fetch something he baught, on a very nice Indian.
He will be missed indeed, in many ways.

Back