DECIPHERING MILITARPAS

Foxdoublegunner

Gentlemen,
I was able to acquire a Militarpas book for Feldwebel Bartels of the 111 Inf Regt (served from 1905-1919). Can any one tell me on which pages I might find entries about any awards or wounds which he might have received? The cursive writing makes it very difficult to decipher the entries. I can make out some of the major locations and towns where he served during the War, birth date, birth location, service entry and end dates but not much else.

Thank you,
Foxdoublegunner

From my limited experience with Miltarpass and Soldbucher, wounds are not necessarily noted, but time spent in Lazeratt is usually noted along with the uniforms items that are taken from the soldier to be re issued.

Gustaf,
Thank you. Would you happen to know what page I might find that information on and do you know where I might b abek to look for the awards information? I have seen his name on a number of potcard type pictures associated with the unit and the unit was involved in the majority of the major actions on the Western front so I suspect that there are some entries for awards or wounds but I haven't a clue as to where to even start looking.

Thank you,
Foxdopublegunner

I have checked some Miltarpass and on page 3 on each there is a provision for Orden und Ehrenzeichen and Feldzuge und Verwundungen. I have not found similar areas in Soldbucher, but I suspect that a notice would be glued in if the award was significant enough.

Gustaf,
Here is a scan of the page three of Feldwebel Bartels Militarpas. It almost looks as if the entry is for te Verdienstkreuzmedaille. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Foxdoublegunner

I think you are right, for 9 years, but I have difficulty reading the writing as the scan is too low rez

Pretty neat to have the Militarpas of someone who was awarded the enlisted equivalent of the PLM. Here I was looking for evidence of an EK1 and I might have ended up with something far rarer!

I read your post a little too quick, the award is for the Verdienstmedaille nach 9 Jahr Dienstzeit, it took a while for me to read the last word

joerookery said:
Gus

Sent you a dropbox link with another one to decipher.
Hey Joe,
It is going to take some time, how much did you want transcribed? A quick preview is he was in the campaign from 4. August to 24. August in the Vormarschgefecte in Belgian
and 25. August to 2. September in the Vormarschgefecte in Nordfrankreich.
But I think you already knew that

Reading through it quickly, I could not understand why there were only entries for 1914 and 1919, but he was captured by the English 2. Sept, 1914 and returned through Wilemshaven in 1919. Looks like he was awarded the E.K. too. I will get it all transcribed and send it to you in a few days.

Back