Decorated with the bust of the Tsar but what might it be?

stuka f

looks like pewter but weights like bronze, no marking.
It is 22.5 by 11 cm and weights nearly 1 kg!

That's it! I've been looking all over for one of those. It's a better mouse trap.
Actually, I don't have a clue.

John :)

I have the same thoughts about it as Jonas has.
Not that I ever saw something like it, but I think it once had a notebook in it.

Based on the picture of the object open, you see a kind of aperture, near the hinge where it could be fitted.
So probably some desktop piece.
Nice find Kris!

Greetings, Coert :) :)

My guess as has already been mentioned, a device for holding sheets of note paper, a desk top piece. Remember, Post it Notes have not been invented yet. :)

I‘m with Brian, think it was a device to hold some sheets of note papers.The small lipp at the top inside seems to be there to hold sheets of paper. In these times the peoples often wrote journals or they needed a hard underlay to write down a notice when they were on a trip. The Material seems to be cast Zinc or Alpaka (Neusilber).
Concerning the Relief it may be a familar background or a souvenir of the Military.

Ok, thank you.
The form and practice seems to be originate from Austria according to a other source/ forum...!

Maybe I’m wrong, but I would tend to prussia. I don’t think it is the Zar, the bust looks more like a prussian General or Noble.

I believe that is an image of the Grand Duke Nicholas, who was displaced by Nicholas 11 as Commander in Chief towards the end of the Russian involvement in WW1 - with disastrous results. Looking at the roundel on the hat it looks definitely Russian to me and I am only guessing that it's purpose is as a cover for notes of some kind.

Back