Displaying uniforms

flasheart

Gents,

I am starting to get a good collection of WW1 uniforms now, and I would like to get some of your ideas on how best to display them. I think the ultimate display is Gus' museum display but I think my wife (and our houseguests) would be a little intimidated by a company of stosstruppen living in the dining room.

What works best? torso displays, full mannequins, half torsos, flat displays, hanging displays?

Mike

Hi Mike,

How you display depends on what ya got. Gus goes for the full mannequin look, foot to head. I did this for a while, but any collector can relate to the fact that ironically, trousers and boots are the most expensive items to find. I still do not have a pair of 1st war Cdn boots. But I have around 30 + CEF and RFC tunics. I have some Brit boots so I do have six standing mannequins, but I prefer the half-torso. Mine are made so they can free stand on their own, and if you bring some to a show, the pole slides inside so they can be lowered down to sit on a display table.

b18.jpg

I do have some German boots and trousers etc so I do have five standing mannequins, but those other 40 or so are all on half-mannequins or hung against a wall on padded hangers. Not ideal, but you can get a lot of tunics on a wall.

The REAL problem, is getting the mannequin to fit, as the tunics are all small and you do not want to stress the material. So I make my own.

A friend of mine had hanging mannequins where the tunic hung from a hook, but there was no provision for headgear. And, it was not adjustable in height. Tony

b11.jpg

Mike,
I like the full manniquin look, as it shows the whole picture, but the main reason is that I started collecting the rifles first, and once you get the rifle, you need a bayonet and scabbard. Then you need a belt to hang the scabbard on and a tunic to put the belt on, and it never seems to end. As a gun rack, these uniform displays need to go all the way to the floor. I too have the problem with trousers and boots. My German mannequins were Swedis trousers to avoid being arrested for indecent exposure. And My French M1917 boots are dated in the 50s, as the French used the same boot until they got out of Indo-china. The Russian has post war boots and repro trousers, my Italian had repro trousers until I found a pair that were advertised as WWII, but are the same as the WWI style. I would not recomend displaying your collection inthe living or dinning room, there are several reasons, first would be light exposure, then dust and the ejecta from the cooking vessels (vaporized oils, moisture and aromas). All these things will cause a deterioration in a very short time. The biggest reason not to have a display in the living quarters, when the wife gets up in the middle of the night and sees an intruder, the best case is a pubble on the floor, the worst case is an authentic bullet hole in the uniform. I am not allowed to have my "dolls" (Maggie's word, they are really action figures) out side of the collections room after dark because she was startled by one several years ago. My mannequins are not well displayed at home due to the lack of room, the display is designed for public showing.
How ever you display, let's see some photos.
Gus
ps I think the best way to display your collection is to send it to me and I will do all the work.

Give him beer before he finds the lanyard to the Granantenwerfer .That ruin the day of any sea goin vessel Laddie.
MArk

Back