Do you see what I see?

You cant miss that bad ass JR92 helme up on the shelf. The Lt also has the Iron Cross 1st class. I wonder if winning that cost him that facial scar? Super foto Drake!

Actually, the first thing I noticed (just before I noticed the bad-ass pickelhaube!!!!) was how the good lieutenant and sergeant are looking off into space, like they're not even there, possibly trying to remember what home was like.

"Weihnachten auf Höhe 1603 im Jahre 1916"

Happy Xmas!
331.gif

I doubt you could expect much mercy from these guys if you happen to fall into their clutches - even if it was Christmas. Tough looking hombres.

Regarding the 'haube. If you look closely, there's a cross on that wappen. RIR 92?

@ Brian - That scar is most likely a Schmiß (dueling scar). Joe wrote a fantastic article on how to obtain this "badge of courage" in 2006: http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Students.htm .

Read Joes' article Drake and you are obviously correct. Machismo at its best! I can aslo see that reservist cross on the helme wappen after your pointing it out. I can see a canvas background to this foto but they can not be in a tent because of the shelving on the walls. However, if you are in some sort of wood structure, why the canvas? Anyway, a very stimulating foto. You are very lucky to have it. Congrats.

They are in a bunker. Note that the Totenkopf when enlarged, is identical to my officer example. Not like that buck-toothed grinning idiot skull that keeps being sold as original on helmets on de-bay.

Thanks T. Christ I am stupid.....I see the flat chin scales now. Arghhh, definately reserve officer! Probably his visor cap is what we see on the lower shelf as well. Can anyone trace his name using the rank lists. I do not have these. I am thinking too, that the Xmas decoration on the champagne bottle (Centre) is a typical guy thing to do, a statement: we have our booze and cigars. Like what the F*** we are stuck here!! Have a Merry....Xmas!! Sweet, B
PS...OK T... bunker but must have been lined with wood, you are not going to fasten those shelves into dirt.

b.loree said:
OK T... bunker but must have been lined with wood, you are not going to fasten those shelves into dirt.

Brian, when the Allies overran German bunkers they were always shocked by the comfort. Germans as a people are industrious. Allies lived is mud trenches, Germans busied themselves making themselves comfortable to the point of interior design; i.e. hammer stakes into dirt to hold up shelves. In the Regiment I always had a pillow stuffed in my sleeping bag carrier and my Leopard crew would laugh when I pulled it out the first time; I would say "anyone can be uncomfortable" and then soon after my crew all had pillows...

At any rate, the man on the left is an Unteroffizier mit Portepee or Sergeant and the Pickelhaube has an officer pattern Totenkopf. Now, I do have one photo of a Einjährig-Freiwilliger wearing a Mannschaften pattern Pickelhaube with the officer pattern Totenkopf, but that is the only one I have ever seen, and I collect anything to do with IR92 and HR17. As a rule, IR92 NCOs wore the standard Mannschaften flat Totenkopf. But the man on the right with the scar, is an officer, so yea, must be his helmet. Wonder where it is now? 10 feet under mud in France probably..

With all gratitude for enjoying this picture; I doubt if this picture has been taken at the Western Front in France. There is hardly possible to find a height 0f 1603 m. along the Western front. Most mountains in the Vosges ( the highets points of the Western front) don't even reach 1500 m.
So, my question is: where exactly is Height 1603?

Hill tops were numbered by the German army for better orientation and to avoid misunderstandings. This was done quite often on the Balkan front but I do not know how common it was in the west. Höhe 1603 does not refer to the hight. I wonder whether anybody can identify it with a period map? It would help to know were the regiment was located at that date

With Schulze being such a common name it would probably take a while to find his commissioning date. I can confirm from the regimental history, however, that Leutnant d.R. Dr. Adolf Schulze, born in Wülfingen, Kreis Springe served in I.R. 92 and survived the war.

Regards
Glenn

Back