Does anybody know what type Tschapka this is?

SkipperJohn

I am posting this for a friend who is primarily a WW2 collector, but he came up with this recently and asked if I would be interested in it.
At first I thought that it might be Austrian, but after looking at photos of Austrian Tschapkas I'm not so sure.

u5S5qJz.jpg

The leather/fiber shell is similar to a Pickelhaube shell with chin scale reinforcements on each side.

qN8FQYR.jpg

The top holding up the mortar board (the red part) is nothing but cloth. There is no leather underneath it, only cloth. The remaining metal fittings are nickel silver.

fXc3tD8.jpg

The mortar board itself is made of leather and there is a slot that appears to be for a Feldzeichen. The cord is sewn on.

abuuoy9.jpg

The liner is the Pickelhaube type and the top is held on with a single knurled nut.

dpJse3W.jpg

Does anybody know what this is? The photos of Austrian Tschapkas that I have seen have more cord (up the sides of the base and criss-crossed across the mortar board) than this one. Could this be a theatrical piece?

Any info is welcomed.
He wants to sell it, so if you know what it is and you want it, pm me. I am certain that it will be cheap.

John :)

Actually may be the very same helmet pictured John. There is a seller who listed this picture that is now just offering up the wappen and bosses with strap. Maybe he realised the helmet wasn't right but the boss/wappen were. Where did your friend purchase it from , any idea ?

woznotwos said:
Actually may be the very same helmet pictured John. There is a seller who listed this picture that is now just offering up the wappen and bosses with strap. Maybe he realised the helmet wasn't right but the boss/wappen were. Where did your friend purchase it from , any idea ?

It is the exact same helmet. It came from a dealer in Phoenix, Arizona.
I think that it may be a theatrical piece with some original parts. The liner looks like an old original however. I think the dealer stripped the original parts and sold the rest.
My friend got it as the result of a batch purchase.
He threw a fake Wappen on it and is asking $100.00 US.
I asked here if anybody knew what it was so I could inform my friend. I didn't get any info.
For all I know it could be an extremely rare Tschako from Bolivia.

John :)

Mystery tschapka-- I had one years ago and I believe it had a Polish eagle .... look at the Polish museum sites--- I believe I saw one there recently .. Good Luck,,,, Or perhaps American Lancer?? ca 1890

Alte Helm Zimmer--- Randolpho

Hmm well I dont know a lot about birds but I dont think its a eagle, a red tailed hawk maybe.. maybe even a falcon? Wish I could be more help but Im pretty sure its a hawk of some type...

Back