Dragoner Regiment 26 Helmet

911car

This helmet is not in pristine condition, with notably some surface cracks in the finish, but historically interesting as it belonged to the first officer (and even the first soldier) from Dragoner Regiment 26 who was killed in WW1. He was Reserve Leutnant Albrecht, an engineer in peacetime. On August 21st, 1914, the platoon he was heading encountered a detachment of French cuirassiers in Rixinger Wald (today forêt de Réchicourt in Lorraine, eastern France). Although the Germans were outnumbered Albrecht attempted to force his way through the enemy. Three dragoons were severely wounded, including Leutnant Albrecht himself who was later found unconscious. He died the day after in a military hospital, without recovering consciousness. He is buried in Stuttgart. Details can be found in the History of DR26 during WW1, that was published in german in 1923.
The picture shows the spike helmet he was wearing when he was killed. I also have (everything from family origin) the helmet cover, the handle of his sword (presumably broken in the fight…) and one of his spurs on which the place and date of his death have been engraved. The helmet was very dirty and tarnished when I got it but complete and strictly untouched.
Bruno

P10100024JPG.JPG

Absolutely stunning, Bruno! You're a fortunate man to be certain.

Bravo,

Chas.

Hi Bruno,
That's amazing, I adore items with his history from behind. And when the piece has the quality that this has, I can only say a thing: WOW :shock: !
Otto

PS. Can we see the rest of the grouping?

Bruno:

What is the landscape behind the helmet? Would you mind sharing a picture of it as well?

Chas.

Hi Chas,
The picture is an autumn landscape by Abel Herve, a French painter of the impressionist school (end of 19th century). I would be happy to send a picture but I cannot; in fact Brian was nice enough to post the DR26 helmet picture for me. I can make a picture and send it to your own email address if you wish.
Bruno

Thank you all for your appreciation! I have sent a picture of the rest of the grouping to Chas since I cannot post it myself.
Best,
Bruno

There it is! Thank you Chas! The helmet cover has the red "Manoever Band" inside. The spur was mounted on a marble block in the shape of a cup, or ashtray. On one side of the spur is engraved (too small to be photographed) "Rixinger Wald 21 August 1914" and one the other side "Furchtlos und Trew"
Bruno

911car said:
There it is! Thank you Chas! The helmet cover has the red "Manoever Band" inside. The spur was mounted on a marble block in the shape of a cup, or ashtray. On one side of the spur is engraved (too small to be photographed) "Rixinger Wald 21 August 1914" and one the other side "Furchtlos und Trew"
Bruno

Thanks acepteds :D ,
but I'm Otto :lol:

Oooops.... Sorry Otto! I sent Chas the picture behind the helmet at the same time, hence the confusion (can't remember if I called him Otto...). Hopefully some day I will be able to put a face on each of these names.
Once again, my apologies;
Bruno

Back