Dragoner Regt 2 and the CSA Connection

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I am posting some pics from a very experienced and long time collector Steve. He has a fabulous collection of straps and Imperial militaria and actually contacted me asking that this Shoulder Strap section should be added to the forum. Here are the pics of a pair of Dragoner Regt 2 General's schulterklappen that he has in his collection.

There is a new shoulder strap reference book coming out by M. Kelso which features text, descriptions and pics of Mike's, Steve's and I would assume, other collections. Mike is also a forum member.

Very impressive boards. And in fact General der Kavallerie Robert v. Massow would have been the ONLY individual to wear such a set of boards. The general had an interesting career, although originally entering the 1. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, he was commissioned into the infantry (12. Infanterie-Regiment). Retiring from active Prussian service and transferring to Landwehr status in 1863, he served with the confederacy and on his return to Prussia saw action in the Austro-Prussian War of 1866 as a Landwehr Cavalry officer. Following the conclusion of that war he once again became an active officer, this time in the cavalry arm and in time became successively amongst other appointments, a regimental adjutant, brigade adjutant, squadron commander, corps adjutant and general staff officer. He commanded Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 2 from 1885-1887. He additionally commanded the 2, Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, 25. Kavallerie-Brigade, 30, Division and ultimately IX. Armee-Korps.

The number 2 on the shoulder boards/straps of Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 2 was only introduced per cabinet order of 12.12.1889.

Regards
Glenn

massow1.jpg

Wow! It does not get much better than that regarding provenance and a picture as well. Thank you Glenn!

Once again , great information .
I have owned the D R 2 Generals straps
for some many years . I found the connection
between the I G Army and the C.S.A. of
great interest since I also collect items
of Confederate Veterans .
A question for you , you wrote that von Massow
served in the Inf.
infantry (12. Infanterie-Regiment).
The Prussian Grenadier Regiment 12 was formed
in 1813 .
Did you mean that he served in Grenadier Regt. 12
or would it have been the 12th Bavarian Inf .
I really thank you for the addition information
on the General .
By the way the underlay material under the straps
is of black velvet , as it should be.
Steve

Steve,

at the time Robert v. Massow entered it, Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 12 still carried the designation 12. Infanterie-Regiment. It was renamed successively:

4 July 1860: 2. Brandenburgisches Grenadier-Regiment (Nr. 12)
7 May 1861: 2. Brandenburgisches Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 12
18 Oct 1861: 2. Brandenburgisches Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 12 (Prinz Carl von Preußen)
29 Jun 1871: Grenadier-Regiment Prinz Carl von Preußen (2. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 12

Regards
Glenn

Glenn ;
Thank you
Again very good information .
The 12 Prussian Grenadiers are among my personal favorites
along with the Garde Grenadiers and the 1st Garde Regt. zu Fuss.
Over time I will post some of my officers straps from these regiments
I also collect helmets and uniforms from these regiments .
I don't want to post too many strap photos before Mike's book
hits the market .
I have a Generals pair to the 1st Garde Dragoon regiment
that I want you to see .
again many thanks
Steve

Back