Dragoner Reserve Officer Wappen

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Picked this up at the SOS from Dave Mosher. This is an extremely thin stamping but still with the usual high quality gilt work and details. The thinness is intended to lighten the weight of the helme and I have encountered this before on a Bavarian officer wappen. This came in a restoration project and the helme was marked "feder lichte" which translates...feather light. Consequently, we can deduce that feather light officer helmets were also available on the "private purchase" market.
IMG_5301-L.jpg

I am also wondering....Landwehr Dragoner as the cross is fixed on the chest?? Were there Landwehr Dragoners??

IMG_5300-L.jpg

Must have been another under the table deal :D I do not remember you picking up that one.

Nice wappen

James

b.loree said:
I am also wondering....Landwehr Dragoner as the cross is fixed on the chest?? Were there Landwehr Dragoners??

Absolutely. Landwehr Kavalerie officer who had been Dragoner. Also exists with the Landwehr cross on the tail feathers which would be of course Reserve. One of my favorite Wappen. Nice catch.

By the way, my understanding is that the paper thin brass is a result of brass becoming a strategic war material for cartridge casings, so makers had to reduce the amount of brass significantly.

Thanks T, I think that it could go both ways. The Bavarian officer helme mentioned was totally pre war quality in it's manufacture and that feder lichte stamping said it all. I think it makes sense that officers looked to private purchase to lighten the load on their melons.

Back