Dutch bell top shako 1829 (Belgian independence / 1830-1831)

It is a Dutch officers-shako from the civic guard (schutterij), worn during the Belgian revolution (1830-1831), a small and
quite unknown conflict (after the Vienna congress 1815). The civic guard formed a large part of the army that was (hastily) mobilised.

I bought it in bits and pieces and I'm working on it. I think it is quite a rare object: many shakos have later been sized down (like many pickelhaubes).
Enlisted men/volunteers mostly had no decent headgear, and if they did, it was mostly of a poor quality. There is not much left.

Here are two pictures of the shako plate (silver for officers) with a small picture of a civic guard (from around 1830) during the so called Ten Days' Campaign
in what is now the kingdom of Belgium...

When it's finished I'll publish more images. I have been looking for this rare piece of history for years, never thought I would find one, so I'm very happy with it.
Compared to a pickelhaube it's size is is gigantic.

voorkantj.jpg

achterkant.jpg

to be continued..

Interesting detail on this shako:

the original Dutch cockade (which would be orange) has been replaced by a Belgian one
(black, yellow and red: colors of the province of Brabant). On the front side the colors
have almost faded, on the back side you can still see them.

When the revolution broke out, there was much desertion in the southern parts,
and shortage of decent uniforms.
This is probably an example of a Dutch shako, used by a Belgian "rebel"
(as they were called in the northern part of the then separated kingdom).

kokardevoor.jpg

kokardeacht.jpg

Another interesting detail: inside the shako the manufacterer's mark can still be found.
It is manufactured in the flemish town called Brugge (in French: Bruges)

etiket.jpg

Finaly some pictures of the chinstraps (that have oxidized to a kind of dark grey) and the
original woolen pompon (that once was white).

kinriem.jpg

pomponv.jpg

I hope I can post the pictures of the completed shako soon...

Come on !
Cannot wait to see it.

Something about the Englebert family in Brugge/Belgium:
Gabriel Englebert (1758-1825), was a hatmaker (Grande Place-Main Square). Edouard Englebert (1792-1854) continued the bussiness.

One of his children-Frédéric Englebert-, became an Officer in the Belgian Army (Lieutenant in the Company of Gunsmiths in 1868; Captain in 1869-Fire arms Inspection-he invented the improved rifle bullet for the Herstal-made Albini Rifle used in the Belgian Army- "la balle Englebert"-The Englebert bullet.

Francis

I will show it here when it's completely finished. I bought it in pieces,
and it will take some time.

I don't know what the cockade is made of, it seems to me a bit thicker than silk.
As you can see it has a different structure on the back.
Though it's a bit shiny like silk... no idea. I understood they made these cockades in strokes,
cut them into smaller pieces and folded them round like this (unlike the silk cockades on early spiked helmets).

At least the visor is attached now...

donker.jpg

to be continued...

Initially it dind't look very promising...

geheel.jpg

As you can see the shako was in a poor condition (cough), so I had to have the visor restitched
and a part of the lower velvet band renewed. For the time being I attached the cockade
with a needle (just in case I will ever find an orange one).

... but I think the final result is very satisfying...

It was hard to get the right visual impression for the next pictures. There is not enough daylight
now in winter, and a flashlight gives a totally wrong impression. But after some photoshopping I think
I finally got it right. It has an overall dark (yet beautiful) appearance and this is what it looks like:

geheelx.jpg

geheelzijde.jpg

zijkant3.jpg

all the participants of the ten days campaign were given a bronze medal
(made of two captured Belgian cannons).

For enlisted men it had a yellow-blue ribbon, volunteers (vrijwilligers) wore a yellow-green
ribbon and the word "vrijwillig" on the cross. The last one is quite hard to find, the first one is
offered regularly on the internet.
On the right a (scarce) picture of a veteran (1849) wearing the cross and the medal
for the defence of the Antwerp citadel against French troops in 1832.

medaillesb.jpg

On this lithograph a young volunteer from the civic guard says farewell.
On the right an early 19th century drawing of a civic guard (schutter).

vergelijk2.jpg

A comparison in size...

vergelijk.jpg

Finally, a more romantic picture, taken in its "natural habitat" (just laying there in front of the TV).
Hope you enjoy the pictures... I do... regards, HW.

bijtv0.jpg

Back