Dutch Grenadier Cap?

Peter_Suciu

Any ideas on what this cap might be? The lion appears to be Dutch. Sorry for the bad photos, as this belongs to my friend and I snapped a few shots with my smartphone.

DutchGrenadier1_zpsl2fvkn3d.jpg

DutchGrenadier2_zpstzq7hoga.jpg

DutchGrenadier3_zpspmh4xk8p.jpg

DutchGrenadier4_zpsuf1wl1r0.jpg

I have had one of these for more than 20 years. Can't even remember where I got it, but I believe it is a costume piece as my inside looks the same. So there is nothing missing, they were just cheaply made.

Where did your friend get it?

Hello!
It is a copy from a hessen-kassel grenadiermütze (you called "hessians")
This type of caps wearing the "hessians"-grenadiers in the american war of independence
The cypher below shows "FL" for Friedrich Landgraf von Hessen-Kassel

It is not a good copy. All the things from the frontside (the lion, the cypher, etc.) which are here drawn, are on an original made in repousse technic.
I think it could be made for a so called "Centenarfeier" at 1900 or so

best regards torsten

gardist22 said:
Hello!
It is a copy from a hessen-kassel grenadiermütze (you called "hessians")
This type of caps wearing the "hessians"-grenadiers in the american war of independence
The cypher below shows "FL" for Friedrich Landgraf von Hessen-Kassel

It is not a good copy. All the things from the frontside (the lion, the cypher, etc.) which are here drawn, are on an original made in repousse technic.
I think it could be made for a so called "Centenarfeier" at 1900 or so

best regards torsten

I agree. Many of the centennial pieces were cheaply made, for both the American war of independence, the American Civil War, and the Napoleonic wars. The copies made for the Napoleonic wars were often oversized and cheaply made from thinner and lighter materials. They are commonly referred to as "Centenar Anfertigungen" or centennial reproductions. They were never intended for field use. This piece, though very interesting for it's history, does not look like it would sustain extended field use.

John :)

Back