Dutch M1894 Colonial Spikehelmet for Cavalerie Officiers

Schiavona13

Hey guys

I would like to show you my very rare M1894 spikehelmet for Colonial Cavalerie Officiers

The body is made of cork covered black fabric so the damage very easy and not a lot survived

1zoi2dh.jpg

That is truly an interesting piece. Looks to be based on the British Blue Cloth Home Service Helmet. Where and when were these used? Were these used in the Dutch East Indies colonies?

Peter_Suciu said:
That is truly an interesting piece. Looks to be based on the British Blue Cloth Home Service Helmet. Where and when were these used? Were these used in the Dutch East Indies colonies?

Hoi Peter,

That correct they where used in the Dutch East Indies from 1894 till around about 1910 and yes they are beased on the British Blue Cloth Helmet. The Predecessor of this model 1894 is M1889 at was as is its Britsh cousin Blue

Nice helmet!
I did have foreign spike helmets in my previous collection as well; for Holland it was a Prinses Irene helmet, but i think it was a late one (could it be: 50'ties?).
|<ris

stuka f said:
Nice helmet!
I did have foreign spike helmets in my previous collection as well; for Holland it was a Prinses Irene helmet, but i think it was a late one (could it be: 50'ties?).
|<ris

The spike helmet from the Prinses Irene regiment was introduced in 1966 and is still in use today
prinsesirene01.jpg

I imagined it being post war, but I didn't know it was that young!
Never to old to learn.
Thanks
|<ris

joerookery: Good photo, thank you for posting.

But I have to agree with chrispaulodale's comment on the flickr. The owner of the helmet that can be seen on my photo was a Hungarian doctor. He served in the KNIL in Batavia the garrison hospital. In 1894 he participated in the Lombok campaign, and awarded with 4th class of the Military William Order.

Markgraf said:
But I have to agree with chrispaulodale's comment on the flickr.
Some small details of foreigners serving in the KNIL in 1910 beneath the rank of officier:

Belgium 383
Germany 947
Switserland 81
France 3
Luxembourg 35
varios 45

Markgraf said:
The owner of the helmet that can be seen on my photo was a Hungarian doctor. He served in the KNIL in Batavia the garrison hospital. In 1894 he participated in the Lombok campaign, and awarded with 4th class of the Military William Order.

If you have a name for me its a good chance that i have a photo of the person and at this moment it is correct to say that your helmet is a M1894 but we are doing research at this moment and there are probbebly some other models that we did not know about

Joe , nice photo . Your photo was taken in a studio in Harderwijk and was made just before the soldier finished his training and was shiped out to Indië . The sword is not his sword as it was not allowed to take your sword outside the military terrain

Schiavona13 said:
If you have a name for me its a good chance that i have a photo of the person and at this moment it is correct to say that your helmet is a M1894 but we are doing research at this moment and there are probbebly some other models that we did not know about

Thank You, I would be happy to see that photo!

His name was Ujlaki Samu (Hungarian name order, the surname first), served as far as I know Officier van Gezondheid 2e Klasse.

I found a small press photo in a contemporary news:

Ujlaki.jpg

After the Lombok campaign he wrote his experiences for the newspaper called Vasárnapi Újság (Sunday News). Finally he settled down in his homeland and died in 1926 age 74. Unfortunately his grave no longer exist.

The helmet is in the collection of the Hungarian Military Museum. Manufacturer: C. MOUUWEN EN ZOON HOFLEVIRANCIERS NEDERLAND EN BELGIE BREDA

I found this photo taken in Lombok during the campain
And a photo of the makersmark in the top of the helmet

Do you have more pictures of the helmet ?

Schiavona13: Thank You for the photos!

More pics:

P1255626.jpg

P1255630.jpg

Interior:

01024.jpg

Meanwhile I found this chinstrap. Is it possible, that it was the part of Dr. Ujlaki' s helmet?

01026.jpg

Markgraf said:
Am I correct that it's the same M1894 type? Sadly little bit incomplete. :(

The helmet is not missing that much : the spike and one lion

The chinstrap belongs to the helmet , no doubt about that :thumb up:

Is the cork interior broken of not ?
Are there any other items in the museum of Dr. Ujlaki' s ?

Thank You for the identification of the chinstrap!

The helmet's body slightly deformed longways but the cork isn't broken.

According the contemporary museum registry his widow gave this helmet, a tunic and a photograph. The tunic and the photo lost or destroyed during the WWII. :( Probably the helmet damaged at the time too.

In the documents mentioned the medals too but it seems finally the widow kept them for herself.

If the helmet is deformed I suggest stuff it with some acid free paper or even cloth to get it back into shape.

You can use a foam head but if you wrap the head in a plastic bag first, and cover with cloth. This can help reblock the helmet so it displays a bit better.

Markgraf said:
Thank You for the identification of the chinstrap!

The helmet's body slightly deformed longways but the cork isn't broken.

Then your in luck , getting it back in shape is a long proces but its worth it.
I normally use a hatblock . If using this be VERY gentle with straining the cork because it wil broke very easy
78453_1.jpg

Is the compleet military history of Dr Ujlaki in the Dutch army known ? at the museum

Thanks for the advices! In the museum have a skilled restorer sadly she's very busy... :|

We have just fragmentary informations about Dr. Ujlaki's KNIL career. Only his death certificate, a letter from his widow, and the news article about his war experiences.
According the letter he also served in the Austro-Hungarian Army, and participated in the occupation of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

And I found his name on a dutch language website about the recipients of the Military William Order.

I allready started :) with his history , will do the rest the coming days

By the way there is also a J.J. Ujlaki how joint the KNIL after Samu did also as a officier van de gezondheid 2e klasse but his story is unfortinally short in the KNIL as he took a gun to his head and shot himself .........

Samu story :

18-10-1885
By kingsorder of 18-10-1885 no. 26 appointed to the rank of officier van de gezondheid 2e klasse for a period of 5 years with the dutch colonial army

7-12-1885
embankment with his wife at Marseille on the steamship “Prins van Oranje “ with destination Batavia

27-01-1886
Placed at the militaria hospital in Semarang

??-02-1886
Arrived in Batavia

??-03-1886
Left Batavia with the ship “St Graaf van Bijlandt” to Semarang

05-03-1887
By kingsorder no. 14 Ujlaki is allowed to wear his Austrian Militairy medailles

30-07-1887
Transferred to the militairi hospital at Fort Willem I ( 2de militair division ) near Ambarawa

25-07-1888
His wife Riza gave bith to a daughter in Ambarawa

??-12-1888
Transferred to the medicalservice in Atjeh en Onderhoorigheden

??-03-1890
Transferred to medicalservice for Sumatra’s Westkust in Padang

26-12-1890
His wife Riza gave bith to a son in Ambarawa

??-08-1892
Transferred to the militaria hospital in Semarang

21-12-1892
Urgently transferred to Patjitan