E-bay Veterans out there?

zook

:eek:
Okay folks - first I must say - GREAT FORUM! I am a long time collector, but of medals ..not pickelhaubes! HOWEVER, I decided to take the plunge and hope not to get too addicted! :D
I have been reading your fine posts and am slowly getting educated, and I have already become acquainted with the fine websites of "Age of Kings" and Colonel J's, as well as the books recommended via those sites. They are great.
Getting beyond site dealers... my question relates to E-bay. I apologize if this question has already been asked on this forum and I failed to find it - but was wondering if the veteran collectors can guide me on reputable (or disreputable?) e-bay sellers? One thing I have learned from collecting on e-bay...the "100% rating" goes so far, and it is sometimes tough to buy based on e-bay photos alone. It is nice to know if there is an e-bay callsign related to a routine, trustworthy seller that veteran collectors have had good luck with.

Beyond that - I look forward to learning more from the posts on this site! regards, Dan

Yo Dan glad you joined! First make sure you know about Tony's website ... Kaiser's Bunker.....best on the web I think. As far as being drawn in --- give into the dark side!!!! Well Medals are cool too.

There are no quick secrets to ebay sellers. We know of bad ones but many people do not know what they have. Each offering must be looked at separately. Look at the item NOT the description. When in doubt ask!!! You will get opinions and your must learn to judge. Senior collectors like R1 will answer a question. Ask. You might not agree. You might. People will tell you if they have had a poor experience with that seller.

Being on the forum will get you known. The more you post and ask the more you become a known entity. If at all possible go to SOS07 and meet the people in person. You will not regret that decision. Hope this helps! Welcome again.

Welcome Dan! You sound like just the type of person we are after. Never hesitate to ask a question or ask for help. There is a huge amount of information and expertise here. The people are great as well!! Brian

Brian

Did you notice that the forum is one shy of 150 members?

Thanks again for this forum, this was and will always be on helluva great idea!

Thanks Wylie, I had noticed that we are almost at 150 members. As I told all the folks at the SOS, the concept was totally Margo's, she had to talk me into it. Initially, I did not want to be bothered. Thank God as a good husband I was well enough trained to give her the go ahead !! Brian

Hi Dan,
You have choiced the right place. People here are always prompt to give all the answers to all of your questions. It's like Joe and Brian said. Ask, and ask again, you will obtain until my answers based on information that I receive from the beyond... :lol:
Welcome again!
Otto

Welcome Dan! What the other guys said. If you find something that interests you click on the web address and copy it to your post. That will give us a hot link so we can go direct to the page. The guys are good about not jumping on some one elses find. But if you check on the bid list you might find that several members have already bid on it.

Happy hunting and show us what you have, we have a forum for metals too!

Gus

Members...
Thanks for the comments and making me feel welcome! ....and will certainly take some time to post/share medal info (I collect German imperial)....

Jumping on the E-bay offer - curious to hear veteran comments on this seller's item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-WWI-PICKELHAUBE-PRUSSIAN-SPIKE-HELMET-GERMAN-NR_W0QQitemZ180000019645QQcategoryZ13965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Helmet/seller seems genuine, albiet very "fair condition" it would seem, and missing some pieces. However, for the current price would it seem to be a bad value? - if genuine?

Speaking frankly, I haven't decided on whether to invest in some "fix-it-up" projects, or just go with top quality pieces... or both.
regards, Dan

Dan,
We have discussed this helmet before. http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1491

Speaking frankly, I haven't decided on whether to invest in some "fix-it-up" projects, or just go with top quality pieces... or both.

My vote would be references first. I am a fan of the Trawnik book as it teaches. Others prefer different texts. No single texts "fits all". You can learn much on-line by visiting Tony's site.

I do not think this is military. A fluted spike, no crown wappen.

One thing is for sure you will start learning faster when you are holding one in your hands questioning! You did well pilgrim!

Thanks Joe! -
I don't think I can make it to SOS this year (will be transfer/moving for my last mil. assignment before retiring)... but will DEFINITELY make it a priority for '08.
I am moving back to the Washington DC area, and I know one collector/friend who owns some 'haubes in that area - so I hope to visit with him later this summer and get some hands on as you suggest...
Dan

Hey Dan,
Our host, Brian, is a master of fixing helmets with problems, and I recall him saying that sometimes it is better to go with the better helmet in the first place. I was thinking about your question on ebay sellers, and there are a few things that we have learned about judging ebay sellers, feedback is important, if you encounter someone with negative feed back, read the feed back and then check the feedback of the member who left thenegative comment, there are some people out there that will leave unwarrented negative comments. Zero or very low feedback is something to pay very close attention to, a seller with a high ticket item and no feed back is probably not honest, copy their discription of their item and google it, and often you will be suprised to find the first hit is a web site where the item is featured, many of our members have found an image and discription of an item they own, offered on ebay. Private feedback is another red flag, why are they hiding their feed back from a buyer, one must assume that it is because they have something they do not want you to see, and hidder bidder's IDs are another red flag, if a seller is selling dodgey items, they sure do not want a buyers friends emailing them that they are bidding of something that is not good. Bear in mind, these conditions do not gaurentee that the seller is bad, (other than finding the offered item on another web site not owned by the seller) but these conditions mean that you need to be cautious, the first thing to do when you wish to bid on a high ticket item is to request a spacific additional photo, if the item is not owned by the seller, he will write that his camera is broken, or only his son knows how to use the camera, any excuse for not getting additional photos is cause to back away from the sale. On spiked helmets (and Joe will back this one up) be sure to look at the back of the Wappen, some reproduction Wappens look exact from the front, but the back can show that they were not produced by a stamping process. Check markings to make sure that they match the Wappen, there are many members that can tell of their head if markings are correct (I have to look them up).
If any one can come up with any other suggestions on judging ebay sellers and auctions, throw them in.
Again, welcome, we look forward to you haveing a great experiance.
Gus

Back