Early Hessen Schirmmuetze

Carlson

Picked this up over the weekend. Nothing special, but I like it. An early Hessen Schirmmuetze. Very low profile, Hessen kokard only, with short, wide visor. The lining is well worn, purplish with a worn-out makers mark and logo. There's a stamp, but I can't make it out . .. perhaps it reads
"5. C. "

It's very small, size 52. Has considerable moth tracking on top, but not on the side.

Comments and observations welcome!

David

18fu.jpg

Lining is well worn. The portrait is upside down in this shot. I think the stamp might say 5.C., but it's a guess.

44yi.jpg
[/url]

Carlson said:
Comments and observations welcome!

I love these Schirmmütze with the tiny brims. A good friend of mine calls them "stingy brims". Nice to see you got it. Not sure, but I think this is the one I almost bought? You know, we could use this thread to post our pre-1897 stingy brims.......

Tony:

This was listed on ebay, but didn't sell. I contacted the seller to give him a tip on his listing. As it turned out, he lived nearby.

So, I visited him and bought the cap. Whoever he got it from had tucked a slip of paper into it with a description and identified it as a "stingy brim." The man I bought it from used to be a dealer and has many connections in the collecting world.

I'd love to see other "stingy brims" if folks want to show them!

David

Back