East Asian Colonial helmet?

Lazerblade

Just kidding. As some of you know, as a reservist, I am attached to US Forces Japan located in Yokota Japan. Our mission is to coordinate military operations during peace time and war with the Japanese Self Defense Force.

While in Japan last month I did a ton of reading on Samurai and Japanese history. I felt it was my duty to bring something special back with me. My brother James thinks that I have given up on Pickelhaubes but it’s just not the case. I love beautiful things and I fell in love with this piece. So, I wanted to share it with you all.

It’s a Tetsu Sabiji 32 Ken Suji Bachi Ressei Men. Samurai Kabuto w/matching Menpo from the Edo period.
This is a Suji Kabuto with black lacquer Menpo. The lacquer and egawa faced fukigasehi feature a "fuji" or wisteria crest. This specific crest belonged to the warrior family of Ando Naotsugu who was a retainer of the great Tokugawa Ieyasu. He lived from 1564-1635. Naotsugu was a younger son of Ando Shigeyoshi. Though a child, he was present at the Battle of Anegawa (1570) as a page for Tokugawa Ieyasu. He was active in the fighting with the Takeda in 1574 in Totomi Province. He fought at the Battle of Nagakute in 1584 and became known as a brave warrior. He was later made a Daimyo at Tanabe in Kii Province (worth 28,000-koku).
I also bought a Samurai sword that was made in 1846 that I will share with you later. It’s still being shipped back to the states.
Mary Christmas to all.
Paul

IMG_1853%5b1%5d.JPG

IMG_1860%5b1%5d.JPG

IMG_1863%5b1%5d.JPG

Hi Paul,
The kabuto is simply amazing :eek: . I love Japanese samurai things. Congratulations fot the beauty.
Otto

Here's my TACHI, the blade was signed by sword maker KIKUHIDE, from SHOWA period (1926 untill 1989 ). The rest of the sword was built for an officer (WWII).
This sword was given, as gift, by the Japanese Emperor for the later Brazilian President João Batista Figueiredo. The sword was bought in a auction several years ago ( the auction was made by the President's widow).

Beautiful kabuto and tachi! I too have an unfortunate Japanese sword habit. I only have 2 right now, but I have owned 25 or 30 of them over the years, everything from showa-to to 14th century pieces.
Merry Christmas! Steve

Well, I am taking the next step. I am going to build a room just for my Pickelhaubes, Civil War swords, and all the other stuff I have aquired in my life. So, please feel free to give advice on room construction since the room I have chosen is completely empty.

Paul

Hi Paul:

As an amateur architect, I would suggest the location of any addition should always compliment the aesthetics of pre-existing structures.

The choice is clear; it should be the new east wing of my place.

Chas. :D

Back