Ersatz felt haube

lach470

I posted a few pics of this last week asking about authenticity....and I very much appreciate all your help. Well......I got it. Retired co-worker decided to sell it to me.
It was brought back after the war by her grand-father. She's in her late 60's and remembers it since she can remember. It was never played with and it's in excellent condition. Only issue is that the head of the eagle has 'lifted' off the felt. You can see that in one of the pictures. Felt looks brand new - quite stiff so I imagine there would be cork underneath? Liner leather is quite thin. I have a leather NCO haube example in my collection (I primarily collect WW2) but I have always loved the unique look of these helmets.
Sunny day today so I decided to take some pics to share. Cheers everyone!

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_5355.jpg
    IMG_5355.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5356.jpg
    IMG_5356.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5357.jpg
    IMG_5357.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5360.jpg
    IMG_5360.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5361.jpg
    IMG_5361.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5363.jpg
    IMG_5363.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5365.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 33
Thank you! Glad you like it - 'cause I certainly do. :)

Too bad there are no markings inside the helmet. I assume most of these felt examples that do have markings would have them inside the leather liner?
In any case....happy to add another real piece of WW1 history home.

Cheers!
Rob

Last edited:
Very nice Filzhaube example! I wouldn't worry too much about the Eagle's head not conforming to the shell of the helmet. It's a great piece just as it is.

Easy to remedy the eagle just press it on to the helmet.
Unless it has fracture marks it will take it.
Great felt by the way.

Thank you all for the input. I gotta say - I love the condition. I very much appreciate your comments gentlemen. This area of collecting is still quite new to me.
Cheers!
Rob

Hello,
nice felt helmet. (y)
Just a small question, are the metal trims in patinated brass or grey painted iron?
---Felt helmets, especially M15s with steel-gray trim, are rarely marked in accordance with orders (AKO) which, as early as 1914, required units to remain anonymous to the enemy. When they are regimented, the ink doesn't take well to the compressed hairs, and fades.

Small anomaly: the upper part of the rear spine should pass under the tip base. There has been an error in handling at this point.

---The eagle's head "away" from the hull, is not a big worry. Just carefully remove the leather corners from the fasteners, take the eagle in your hand, bend the head back slightly, sit the eagle on the shell, adjust so that the head is flat, then reattach the eagle with the leather corners.
---This will prevent the crown from snagging and the head from breaking.

Last edited:
Hello Clovis,
Thanks for your input. I see what you mean about the rear spine. Interesting that this mistake was made. Regarding the metal trims, they are grey painted iron.
Thanks for the tip on molding the adler's head to the crown.....and thanks for the extra information on helmet markings.

Cheers!
Rob

Back