Ersatz Garde

thecorkhelmet

Here is my ersatz Garde helmet. Although the flash makes the fittings appear brass, they are all silver. Corky

1136216267521_ersthel_1.JPG

Corky,

What are your thoughts about why the cockades are 55 mm? Do you think the spike and base had been replaced? Does the spike unscrew? Any marks at all?

Are you and the wife going to SOS? So many questions. I just love Ersatz stuff!

Yes Joe, I've some doubts about the originality of this helmet in spite of the fact that it's very nice. I've never seen an erzatz helmet with such a spike and the rivets on the basis of the spike seem to be not correct. But be carefull, it's just my opinion and I'll be happy to have one like this in my collection :lol:

Maxime

ersatzpolish.jpg

These posed soldier life pictures are common , but look at the guy with the helmet, he is cleaning an ersatz filz helmet!
ersatzpolish1.jpg

No marks that I can find. The spike does unscrew. The brads are larger then I normally see, but when I take them off I can see from the oxidation they have been there for a very long time. No extra holes and the wappen has screw attachments and washers. When I take the spike off I can see an unfaded section that forms to it perfectly, so it doesn't appear to be replaced. Not that it really matters, but I got this from Charles Saunders who says he got this from Randy Trawnik. Charles no longer collects WW1 but it took a lot to get this out of his death grip even now. This was the last helmet he kept. I had to trade some of my better Muslim weapons for it. Corky

Hi Corcky:
These are my concerns about this helmet. The kokarden are officer, which does not fit with a filz helme. We have flat late war chin sclaes again officer and a spike which unscrews. The spike also does not look right . I have never seen an OR filz helme with officer scales. The liner is also strictly OR's and original to the helmet. To my mind, we have an OR's filz helme with a garde wappen which looks like it belongs (providing there is no evidence of resoldering or extra holes in the shell) I think that if you take off the scales, you will see evidence of M91 side posts in the sides of the felt shell. Sorry, but my honest opinion is that you have been taken advantage of on this piece. Brian

Joe, I have never been to the SOS, but really would like to go just to meet all the guys. $ is the problem right now...just had to put in an entire septic system, car problems, new hot water heater and on and on. I did write a novel and my agent has promised me an advance, but he seems to be in a slower time zone. So, if I do go, it will be last minute. By the way to all members, when I show an item I appreciate all constructive opinions and won't get defensive. I am here to learn and enjoy this group of great collectors. Many of the items I collected were before this great wealth of knowledge was available. Some of my Austro-Hungarian items I can't find in any reference books. I just liked the look and feel of them. So, not to get too long winded, thanks for all your comments, opinions, knowledge, and humor ! Corky

Bill, I had never taken the scales off , but you are right! There is evidence of M91 posts. Charles is a long time freind, so no problem in resolving it. If not I'll have to use that executioner's sword he got from me. :D Corky

Hi Steve:

Would Charles Saunders be the same as "chuckiecheese1" from eBay a few years back? If so, we have also done business. I purchased my JB 10 Tschako and Bavarian Ersatz tin Pickelhaube from him. He was a good person to deal with.

Chas.

Chas, the same. He lives a few blocks from here and has shifted to Muslim weapons. Great and honest person. He changed his ebay logo to match his new collecting interests, which I can't remember. Corky

Although I fall into the camp of skeptics regarding the integrity of Corky's helmet, I would like to direct everyone's attention to the following:

Reiner Herrmann, Militärische Kopfbedeckungen der Kaiserzeit, page 149 (Fußartillerie Filzhelm) and page 159 (Sächsischen Grenadier-Regiments Nr. 100).

Eric Johansson, Pickelhauben, pages 57, 58, and 60.

Jean-Louis Larcade, Casques A Pointe: Tome II, page 156.

I think the concept of an Offizier filzhelm can be accepted as fact. However, Corky's helmet is a crazy mix. I'd be willing to bet the chinscales are zinc (magnet time), but what are they, and those Kokarden, doing mated to a Mannschaften Garde Adler and that spike?

After seeing the illustration in Herrmann, I believe the spike to be good.

It's an odd piece.

Chas.

Put the magnet on the chinscales. It is Zinc. Charles is groaning, but I'm still waving the executioner's sword over his head. Corky

b.loree said:
The kokarden are officer, which does not fit with a filz helme.
Hi Joe:

My mistake. I read Brian's post and apparently took this out of context.

Chas.

Back