Erzatz Parade GDC

Mart Vear

P1020715.jpg
P1020723.jpg
P1020727.jpg

Latest E-bay find !

A very late War GDC in need of much tlc over the next few months. I will post a more detailed report after detailed analysis, but here is a brief summary:

Nickel-plated steel body; brass Adler; brass chinscales; silver-plated wappen that is very poorly stamped and very thin. One-piece pressed copper? centre wappen.

Cockades: Infantry / Artillery pattern - but appear to be original to the helmet judging by the condition of the nickel plate behind to the helmet shell. The remains of the chinscales appear to be shellac-cotton wrapped with a cardboard spine (not leather).

Liner mounting band is cardboard; traces of black leather sweatband and silk liner.

In conclusion, I think this is an example that shows the extremities of the use of substitute materials.

Comments welcome.

Regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin...any signs of a silver wash on the adler?? That is quite a chunk of brass when brass was scarce. Wonder why they did not make it from the usual late war grey pot metal. Very nice though with excellent potential. I would love to work on one of these babies. B

Hi Brian,

The Adler appears to be made of very thin brass; soldered joints with some form of brass plating or wash that matches what is left of the parts of the chinscales.

There is a lot of dirt & oxidisation on this helmet, so it will take a few days to make some conclusions. Initial thoughts is that this was a a (very) late wartime private purchase order, judging by the mixture of contemporary parts - abeit odd mixture - to conclude - this is needing much research. yes the crown is (or appears to be nickel or silver-plated). Some parts were very poor quality, but some very high.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Brian,

Having had a closer look - the only silver wash (or sliver /nickel) plating is, or appears evident to the adler crown and the wappen body (not the centre wappen).

The nickel plate to the shell appears to have been applied direct to the steel shell - no primary plating is evident (ie brass base + copper + silver).

Interesting item eh?

Regards,

Martin.

Back