Estonian Troops With a Mix of Firepower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_Suciu

In my research I came across this public domain image of Estonia forces during the Estonian War of Independence in 1919. It is really fascinating that they have on a single train car multiple M1910 Maxims, a Lewis Gun and an M1895 Colt Browning machine gun - the latter likely one made by Marlin. EstonianMachineGuns.jpg

Let’s hope they have more standardized weaponry if they have to fight the Russians in the next few years.
There are neither logical nor strategic reasons for such a fight... Some of our incapable european politicians would love us to believe that...So much people in the world are now making big money again with arms production... Nothing has been learned from the past. What a shame!

Last edited:
Let’s hope they have more standardized weaponry if they have to fight the Russians in the next few years.
Brian, I follow this daily as a reporter. Estonia has been one of the strongest supporters of Ukraine and has recently concluded a deal to purchase the U.S.-made HIMARS. The Baltic States have made it clear; "never again" will Moscow dominate them.

The Baltic States have made it clear; "never again" will Moscow dominate them.
Military or economical domination ....What is worse? Both are killing, quickly or even slowly. Permanent dialog and strong economic relations are the only solution against war...Even with "difficult" systems.

There were no logical reasons for Putin to invade Ukraine in the first place, other than to fulfill his fantasy of restoring the Old Soviet Empire. The West has allowed Putin to get away with far too much, which has only encouraged his ruthlessness. He only understands brute force and this little "special operation" of his needs to be crushed. How does a country with an economy the size of New York State get away with this?? Never forget who started this whole crazy venture....Ukrainian Nazis, WTF??? Once again we see History being used as a political excuse for invasion.
"Permanent dialog and strong economic relations"....True but not when you are dealing with a psychopath, a mad dog who does not care how many Ukrainians or Russians die in HIS war!

I would like to know (or better not!) how the world would look like now, if this were the Russians who made military manoeuvres in the Gulf of Mexico, Hawai , near a US military Basis in the Pacific or off the coast of New York instead of thoses permanent sabber rattlings of the NATO during the last decade in the Baltic or in the Black sea :sneaky: That was the REAL provocation!

Everybody who is owning a small basis of historical knowledge, knows that the Crimea always has been a very important and strategical military basis for the russian marine.
No doubt about it, it was a russian crime to start this war in the Ukraine, but it was also a totally stupid and very dangerous provocation from the western world to support such a corrupt ukrainian government, which only raised up with the financial help of ukrainian oligarchs (not better than the russian oligarchs!), like Ihor Kolomojskyj and his paramilitary anti-russian troops like the Asow or the Dnipro Regiment, the Bataillon Donbass and some other private mercenaries which made since the early 2000´s permanent agitations at the ukrainian-russian border, exactly like the SA methods in Germany, 1933. It´s no russian propaganda, it´s a fact! Just inform!

It´s always much easier denouncing symptoms instead of trying to understand the real genesis of the problems. There is no black and no white, no bad or good people, the world is much complicated than that, it is full of shades of grey.

And last but not least: never forget that: this war is taking place on the european continent, NOT on the north american one!

I am a French citizen with a french father, a german mother and a russian grandfather, living in Germany with my german wife, children and grandchildren. My father fought together with young Americans 1944-45 against the Nazis and told me how ugly a war is.

As an European, I do not feel threatened by the Russians. It´s really to easy to compare Putin to Hitler...This does not work! I just want peace on our old continent and I am awaiting that our political leaders finally start the difficult diplomatic work instead of throwing more gasoline in the fire!!! Too much people from the Western world already were in the starting blocks smelling the big money to make whith selling weapons and ammos again...
And a lot of other people in the Far West were not amused at all to see that Germany, the biggest economic state in Europe, was making such pretty business with Russia. Just a matter of being afraid to be economically isolated and not being able to get rid of its own freaking gas... It´s now the racer, as the gas from the "democratic" Emirates 🙃

Last edited:
thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Ukrainian conflict Philippe, although I think this invasion by Russia is a real crime, the thoughts shared on it by you are valid,
Understanding the Russian nationalistic narrative is key in understanding the conflict,
Some of these territories have been Russian for 350 years, and were independent (Ukraine) for merely 32 years, Putin says he want to correct that historic fault, but it is an independent sovereign nation, and the invasion is a crime,
It would be comparable to germany reclaiming east prussia, or Holland reclaiming Indonesia, these were territories for hundreds of years but were drifted apart and the thought of reclaiming these would be outrageous, same holds true for the situation in the Russian Ukraine conflict in my humble opinion, Putin has to be stopped also because he has interfered in the same way in armenia, Kazakhstan, moldavia, georgia, and poses a real threat on the baltic states that have big russian minorities.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting discussion and I appreciate everyone giving their opinions. In response: Yes I live in Canada/North America. I also have grandchildren and my father fought in WW2 (RCAF, RAF) so we are from the same generation. Living in North America does not keep you safe from war....look at the thousands of Canadians and Americans who are buried in Europe as a result of WW1 & 2. Canadian troops are now stationed in the Baltic nations as the Americans are also in Poland. You blame NATO, this is Russian propaganda. Nato is a defensive organization, it does not attack other nations. It did not attack Ukraine. You must realize that every dictator in History always has to have a "foreign enemy" to justify his dictatorship. Nato and the West are Putin's supposed threat to Russia. Nato is a threat to Putin, NOT to Russia.
Behind all of this, are the actions of one little man, one little KGB apparatchik who refuses to recognize that things have changed in Europe. The previous Soviet post WW2 and Cold War eras are gone. The countries which surround Russia no longer want to be controlled by Russian puppet dictators. Do you think the people of Belarus are truly happy with their Putin stooge?? Putin has made it obvious in his recent long, boring rambling "historical justification" speeches, that he has a delusional mission to restore the old Soviet Empire. His version of Russian History and it's right to conquer is false.
A corrupt Ukraine, how could it not be when ruled by a Russian puppet? The point is that it is fighting for it's life against that happening right now. Putin thought he was in the 1950's...roll tanks...Czechoslovakia, Hungary on ward! There is some black and white in all of this.....100K dead Russian troops, 1M Russians have fled their country, murder, rape of Ukrainian citizens, mass graves, torture chambers, Ukrainian schools, universities, hospitals, cities blown up etc. etc. No one wants war but once again as in the 1930's a European dictator threatens the peace of the world. We all should know by now that appeasement does not work.

Last edited:
An interesting discussion and I appreciate everyone giving their opinions. In response: Yes I live in Canada/North America. I also have grandchildren and my father fought in WW2 (RCAF, RAF) so we are from the same generation. Living in North America does not keep you safe from war....look at the thousands of Canadians and Americans who are buried in Europe as a result of WW1,2. Canadian troops are now stationed in the Baltic nations as the Americans are also now in Poland. You blame NATO, this is Russian propaganda. Nato is a defensive organization, it does not attack other nations. It did not attack Ukraine. You must realize that every dictator in History always has to have a "foreign enemy" to justify his dictatorship. Nato and the West are Putin's supposed threat to Russia. Nato is a threat to Putin, NOT to Russia.
Behind all of this, are the actions of one little man, one little KGB apparatchik who refuses to recognize that things have changed in Europe. The previous Soviet post WW2 and Cold War eras are gone. The countries which surround Russia no longer want to be controlled by Russian puppet dictators. Do you think the people of Belarus are truly happy with their Putin stooge?? Putin has made it obvious in his recent long, boring rambling "historical justification" speeches, that he has a delusional mission to restore the old Soviet Empire. His version of Russian History and it's right to conquer is false.
A corrupt Ukraine, how could it not be when ruled by a Russian puppet? The point is that it is fighting for it's life against that happening right now. Putin thought he was in the 1950's...roll tanks...Czechoslovakia, Hungary on ward! There is some black and white in all of this.....100K dead Russian troops, 1M Russians have fled their country, murder, rape of Ukrainian citizens, mass graves, torture chambers etc. etc. No one wants war but once again as in the 1930's a European dictator threatens the peace of the world. We all should know by now that appeasement does not work.
I fully agree Brian. You know, I saw lots of pictures on the internet about Putin's so-called war. Also saw lot's of pictures, of murdered Ukrainian citizens, read tales of raped women, mass-graves.. We know war as no other here in Europe. We had WW1, WW2, Nazi occupation. Ukrainians are now living here, as refugees from that so-called war Putin has started. They want nothing more, than to go back and rebuild their lives back home.
All, are really happy with our help, but all they really want is peace, and go back home. They had to leave, lost many relatives, family and friends..
You know, there was 1 guy, who stated it exactly right, in 1905 I think.
Those who do not know their history, are doomed to repeat it.
I hope this horror ends soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully agree Brian. You know, I saw lots of pictures on the internet about Putin's so-called war. Also saw lot's of pictures, of murdered Ukrainian citizens, read tales of raped women, mass-graves.. We know war as no other here in Europe. We had WW1, WW2, Nazi occupation. Ukrainians are now living here, as refugees from that so-called war Putin has started. They want nothing more, than to go back and rebuild their lives back home.
All, are really happy with our help, but all they really want is peace, and go back home. They had to leave, lost many relatives, family and friends..
You know, there was 1 guy, who stated it exactly right, in 1905 I think.
Those who do not know their history, are doomed to repeat it.
I hope this horror ends soon.
What if the USA had not stepped in to help fight Hitler ? Were would we be today ?
Steve

Remember the Lusitania, whch was torpedoed on the 7th of May 1915. Filled with ammunition, made by US. The german ambassy even warned not to go on it. The US was, then socalled not in war. Stiil "neutral" yeh right. So far for neutrality. Don't forget, the US did great in WW2.
But it was only to get an advantace in conquering the old world. Just to gain the advantage. Also, do not forget, the US was made by immigrants.
All europeans, who chased out, and also almost eradicated the indians. The US did great things in WW2, but the reasons why, are quite visible for all who know history. It was all based on industrial power, and getting grips on world power. Using descrating things in WW1,(I have found fuzes dated 1914,in Flanders fields, made in the US), but also after WW2.
What matters, is that the US really has no history, only things they cherish after WW1, and WW2. But those are questionable. The US has nothing, only industrial power. And a lot of military power.
All the US wanted however, was to gain power over the Old World. Which, they got.

Also, do not forget the differences, about living in Europe, or the US. We do not send former people living here,the people before us, to special places, "reservations"as they are called in the US. This is quite a difference. We all just live together. And also, we do not have flags in our back yard, or on our houses. In the US most folks have the flag waving, on their house, or on it. We do not do that..
In the 30's however, most Germans did that too. Just think about it..

Also, do not forget the differences, about living in Europe, or the US. We do not send former people living here,the people before us, to special places, "reservations"as they are called in the US. This is quite a difference. We all just live together. And also, we do not have flags in our back yard, or on our houses. In the US most folks have the flag waving, on their house, or on it. We do not do that..
In the 30's however, most Germans did that too. Just think about it..
Sounds like maybe we just should have stayed put and stayed home !
Steve

I could respond to the last postings here at length, but I believe we have become too personal and emotional in our discussion of this topic. Consequently, I am locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back