Evaluation of a Prussian Dragoner

Mike H

Gentlemen,

I can you please give me your opinions on this Pickelhaube?

Mike

Prussian #1.jpg

Attachments

• Prussian #2.jpg
    Prussian #2.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 2,008
  • Prussian #3.jpg
    Prussian #3.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 2,008
Hi Mike,
Beautiful condition! This is no Dragoner helmet though, but for a Prussian administration officer, most likely a paymaster. It is missing a small eagle in silver colour between the legs of the eagle. Have you unscrewed the front plate?

The helmet has all the Dragoner characteristics Mike but the wappen is not correct for a Prussian Dragoon Officer. You can see Dragoner examples here on the forum in that section as well as the Wappen/Helmet plate area. This group of military bureaucrat helmets are called Beamte Pickelhaubes. These officials included such things as hospital and fortifications inspectors . There are silver fitting versions of these as well. As non fighting helmets, these usually are slightly cheaper than the regular military ones.

This is terrific information and I am glad to be here on this forum. With the little experience I have, I do know that the Beamten items are considerably cheaper. I noted this immediately on Helmet Weitze's site. Some really attractive, minty vulkanfiber helmets there for Zoll-Beamten. But quite cheap. I am glad to know this and will inform the seller. I don't think he has any idea. By the way, he wants about $1,750 for it which now seems drastically overpriced. Here is a photo of a Zoll that Weitze has.

Mike

2019-06-04 23.24.28.jpg

That‘s true, the collectors mostly want military stuff. The Beamten or Polizei-Helmets don‘t reach these prices, even they look as good on the shelf as an military Helmet. But if you want to have it as an investment you should buy military.

Back