Fall Harvest of Haubes Part 3, Hessian M71 re-issue to M95 18th Train Battalion

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

Here's the 3rd helmet I acquired from the family of a WW1 soldier this fall.

Thanks to James for his insight and advice which helped me to acquire this helmet!

This one took a bit of work and patience, as the seller backed out on the deal for about a week's time, and fortunately I was able to eventually persuade them to sell the helmet.

The helmet has at least 3-sets of issue markings on the underside of the back visor:

There's an incised "T.B. 18". It appears there are some other incised markings in that area, but I can't make them out at this point of time.

There's an ink stamped "T.B. 18" on the viewer's far left underside of the visor.

And there's also what appears to be an ink stamped "T.B. 25" next to the back spine under lap area.

3-of the 4 special old wing nuts are present for the spike base. The other nut is a later flat brass nut.

Not sure why this helmet also has the metal support plate on the exterior of the helmet, like we see on many other helmets that come from families.

Best Wishes,

Alan

101_2521.JPG

101_2522.JPG

101_2523.JPG

101_2524.JPG

101_2525.JPG

Last edited:
Wow!! Halloween came early for you and you got a whole bag full of treats!!! Fantastic!!!!

Hello Alan, I think the helmets were taken apart for shipment to the USA either by mail or duffle bags and the vet didn't assemble them correctly in the states. That would explain the backing plate on the outside. Alan

Thanks for your very nice comments Bob, Alan, James, Bruno, and Tony, I appreciate it! :thumb up:

All the Best,

Alan

Hi Bruno,

That's a great looking helmet with excellent markings! Thanks for sharing it with us! :thumb up:

It looks like my helmet was a brother to your helmet, before mine got converted and re-issued.

Yes, I was very, very fortunate to acquire this helmet for sure. The person backed out of the deal for a week's time before I was able to re-persuade her into selling it to me and allow me to preserve it and the family U.S. military paperwork and her relative's photo from WW1.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back