Faschinenmesser

Gelle

Could somebody please help me with the identification of this Faschinenmesser? Can't find it in any reference books i have. Exept the makers stamp(P.D.Luneschloss) no other markings present. Any info would be appreciated.
Greetings Gelle

Hi Gelle

I have been meaning to post a response to your question for some time, my apologies for the delay. I have a very similar, if not an exact match to the weapon you have questions regarding. It is also maker marked PDL within an oval with the blade measuring 48.26 cm in length (US 19 inches), one piece cast brass grip and guard with a simple brass oval base. It has a brass mounted, sewn black leather scabbard typical of the era and has been identified to me as a pattern intended for use by the Swiss. I have noted that various German firms provided the Swiss Army with a variety of Faschinenmesser through the years including sawback models.

In my example as with yours there are no other markings on the weapon except for the makers name. So, perhaps other countries made use of this pattern as well.

Hope this helps a bit.....

Larmo

Hi Joe

I don't think so, it's difficult to tell with his hand on the hilt, but I do not see the small brass oval plate at the base of the guard. I think it is one of these. The scabbard on our example which is like Gelle's, has an oval stud for mounting, not the wire side loop. Nice photo...
fm7n.jpg

Here are a few images of the example we have, sorry for the poor focus on the PDL logo, but I think it shows the small oval plate above the blade Ok..

swiss1r.jpg
swiss3f.jpg
swiss2.jpg

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Just saw your response Larmo :oops: :oops: :oops: Thanks for the comment,and indeed all info helps. Yours is a nice example as well,a pitty i haven't got the scabbard..... Including a link of my other FM. Greets Gelle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gellechimay/8179398993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just seeing this for the first time today. Is there a slot on the opposite side of the hilt? If so it would be a Schleswig-Holstein Hirschfänger for the Luttich Dornbüchse M1849. The story behind this model is that they were used by the Prussians after being captured from the former Schleswig-Holstein Army in Denmark during the First and Second Schleswig wars.

What a super looking example!

No slot on the opposite side of the hilt. I saw this bayonet several years back at a show,sad to say it isn't one of those. Greetz Gelle

Back