Feldartillerie Fall Number 3: Preußen Feldartillerie NCO

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Finally, here is the last of the three Feldartillerie Fall updates; a very nice Preußen Feldartillerie (Field Artillery) Eigetumsstück (privately purchased) Pickelhaube for an Unteroffizier mit Portepee. This one has some very interesting features, such as screw-posts holding on the rounded chinscales, a beautiful private purchase eagle Wappen but without a voided crown, and something that I think Joe will interesting; 53mm Unteroffizier mit Portepee Kokarden (same size as a typical officer's Kokarde) with small holes to accommodate the threaded screw posts.

Oh, and check out the photo of the 'ghost' with the Wappen removed. Marvelous!!

This helmet was bought from a family in a small town in Nova Scotia by a militaria 'picker' who sold to my friend Peter, who traded it then to me. It came with the tall storage case.

Well, enjoy the photos, you can see them all by clicking HERE. Tony

dbh64.jpg

To further illustrate the points Tony made about kokardes for Unteroffizier mit Portepee (Senior NCO) the following photograph compares Officer, Senior NCO and other ranks kokardes made for screw post retainers with those made to fit M1891 side lugs.

kokardesxo5.jpg

Reservist1

I keep returning to this superb helmet and photographic exposé and wonder why it hasn't generated more comment. What I find of particular interest is the post 1880 (per Larcade; conceivably post 1891, if Bowman is to be believed) officer private purchase liner and the pre 1887 Mannschaften chinscale rosettes with screw post retainers. I can't recall having seen this intriguing combination before, but it seemingly indicates a helmet manufactured shortly before the introduction of the Knopf 91 system.

As Tony said, very interesting.

Thanks too to R1 for providing the Kokarden diagram. Creating this graphic, let alone having the specific Kokarden to do so, is a true labor of love.

Chas. =D>

Excellent helme T!! Thanks also to R1 for the kokarden foto...very nice for reference. Brian

Back