Feldmütze I.R. 172 Blau

Lars13

As I don't have the opportunity to go to large military fairs and handle original artifacts, I have to find other ways to increase my knowledge level sufficiently to be able to differentiate, with some degree of confidence, between original and repro when buying online.

I bought a field-grey Feldmütze before, but wasn't convinced about its originality and had nothing to compare it with, and ended up returning it (Feldgrau Krätzchen - Unissued or Just Brand New?). So when this Feldmütze came up for sale, I could kill two birds with one stone: get an original Feldmütze as a reference for future purchases, and an item regimentally marked to I.R. 172, one of my regiments of interest.

The Feldmütze is in an ok condition with some moth grazing except for several large hard stains, which look white on (or have discoloured) the blue fabric, and transparent on the red fabric. No idea what they are, and I will try and see if they are water- or alcohol-soluble at some later time. Any advice is appreciated.

IR_172_Muetze_Blau - Front.jpg

The marking however is excellent, and fits very well with my interest in a wartime I.R. 172 soldier, who would have worn such a blue Feldmütze during his stay in the Ersatz-Bataillon.

• On top the mark for “Strafanstalt und Gefängniss Cassel-Wehlheiden”, a prison where also uniform items were made. "Mütze, ohne Schirm" is on the list of "Macherlöhne" (maker’s fees) for prisons in the "Dienstanweisung an die Bekleidungsämter", so that fits. Cassel-Wehlheiden belonged to XI. Armeekorps so typically wouldn’t have made items for XV. A.K. (to which I.R. 172 belonged in 1914), but according to the "Dienstanweisung an die Bekleidungsämter" from 1904 (updated to 1908) XV. A.K. was specifically allowed to place orders at Cassel-Wehlheiden in case of need.

• 56 is the size.

• Label of Musketier Fritsch in I. Ersatz.-Bataillon I.R. 172; raised in Offenburg in August 1914, the name “I. Ersatz.-Bataillon I.R. 172” only used between 1.3.1915 and 30.11.1917. A regimental stamp is probably hidden underneath the label, but I’m unable to see what it says.

• "3 B.", "1914", "10. C." are from the initial issue to the active regiment in 1914.

• "I I I" is the assessment of the condition of the Feldmütze, maybe it was down-graded when it was passed on to the Ersatz-Bataillon to ease the bookkeeping.

Regards,

Lars

IR_172_Muetze_Blau - Stamps.jpg

Dienstanweisung ad Bekl. Aemter 1904 - BA XV en Cassel Wehlheiden_Cropped.jpg

nice feldmutze.
with regards to the stains I have washed really dirty ones before using bowl of warm water and washing powder solution...works to clean them up but depends on your view of restoration and of course risk !

using bowl of warm water and washing powder solution
Thanks Tony, I tried with water and a Q-tip, and the light blue stains are made of a water-soluble blue paste, and the stains on the red fabric are made of a water-soluble transparent substance. It seems a previous owner did this to hide damage to the fabric. I would prefer not to have the stains, and would rather see the damage, but it's a lot of work to remove the paste and I risk damaging the markings on the inside, so I'm going to think it over a little bit longer.

There are 3 guys with this name in the JR172
Thanks Philippe

I didn't realise it was a collector repair ! Definitely give it some thought then as once you start removing there is no going back ! Good luck.

I know it is an old thread ;) from 2022 but I am looking for "Dienstanweisung für die Bekleidungsämter" regulation from 1904 or later one 1915.
Where I can find it?

Regards,
Milosz

Lars,
Thank you for your answer. As you said, I found online the 1897 version. I will be looking for later one. At least with 1897 version I have some base line, somewhere to start.

Thanks,
Miłosz

Back