felt numbers on pickelhaube covers

flasheart

Gents,

I have just received a pickel that I bought from ULAN9. the helmet is a poor grade m1895, with badly crazed surface. I really just bought it for the cover. Yes, yes, I know that ULAN9 is getting a bad reputation.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6584461767&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Anyway, as soon as it arrived I gave it the blacklight test - the cover itself did not react but the red felt numbers lit up brightly. Before I declare the numbers to be a fake item, I ask that somebody else runs a black light over their red felt numbers and tell me if they glow or not.

thanks guys,

Mike

Hey Mike,
I have no numbered Überzug, but if the red felt fluoresces, I would think that there would be a large amount of synthetic fibres in it.
Gus

I had to wait for dusk to ring in on this one. Mike, I have two covers with red felt numbers. Interestingly, one matches your IR 15.

Here they are under incandescent light and no flash:

KICX0420.jpg

Under black light; 1/2 second exposure; hand held:

blklt.jpg

Same image, enhanced using Photoshop; still no glow.

KICX0422.jpg

I'm afraid ulan9's reputation is well deserved. However, the cover looks good. How are the numerals stitched, by machine or hand? Both of mine are tackle twill machine sewn.

Chas.

Back