Felt With Unusual Spike Back Up Plate

pickelhauben

He Guys,

What do you think about this one ?
Looks to be original to me .
Have you guys ever seen a back up device such as this ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WWI-M95-Prussian-Ersatz-Felt-Pickelhaube/293637988558?hash=item445e3020ce:g:qp0AAOSwJAdfAmku

Yes, these are the reinforcement plate but this one is a replica. The original ones are really heavy and tough to hold the helmet in shape.

I ran into this support configuration on a leather Prussian officer helmet I worked on, it was made of aluminum. I have never seen leather M91 supports before though.

I have both officers and m95 helmets with reinforcement plates. But these reinforcement plates are really heavy. I have come across the aluminium ones and they are soft and flexible. Too soft to hold the shape of helmet.

I cannot remember which helmets come with the reinforcement plates but will take pics to post when I find them.

I have to disagree with you Amy about this reinforcement being a repro. If you look closely, this has been machine stamped very precisely. The slots, cruciform arms are all crisp and smooth. As I said, the officer one on the helmet I worked on, was aluminum, this could be tin. I would also like to see some pics of the heavier ones you have in your collection.

Back