Filz, Cork or Stahlblech?

Wyliecoyote

Greetings all!

I need an opinion, what type of ersatz helmet might this Prussian Landsturm soldier be wearing? Filz, Cork, or Steel?

Thanks!

Geo

Hey George,
I think Filtz can be ruled out, or this is period proof of the leather edged Pickelhaube. To me, the Stahlblech helmets looked wider and squater, so my vote would be Cork, partly because of the different coloured edge, and the lighter colour of the helmet (the Stahlblech helmets I have seen are usually darker)
Best wishes
Gus

And from the other corner...

I think it is filz -- 1 of the things I really got to do on that long cruise was learn more about playing with Photoshop. I made friends with the computer instructor and learned a few new tricks. I multiplied the background contrast multiple times and you can see the entire trim. It appears to be a brass trim -- well metallic and reflective. I see no evidence of the cloth covered dividers so I vote for filz!

Yours was the first picture I tried these new toys out on -- kind of cool.

duh! I never even thought of brass trim.
retardsox3.jpg

Dog gone Gus! ! ! my stomach is hurting after all the laughing I just finished doing ! ! Those owls are a scream!

Any how, thanks to both of you for the input, I was thrown off by the trim myself, that is why I asked, and glad I did. Thanks Joe!

Geo

Here is the photo: Unidentified Landsturm Musketier armed with Gew 88 with muzzle protecter, E.B. #3 bayonet w/ E.S.#2 FAG scabbard painted a light feldgrau, with Ko. knot. Wearing an Ersatz filz (felt) pickelhaube with brass trim. Notice those shoulderboards? M95 ammo pouches, tornister, and a M1893 Litewka.

Just out of curiosity, which forum members collect this kind of photo?

Geo

Hey George,
The Owl photo is one that Joe plagerized, I stole it from him, that is the way I feel most of the time. I thought the Litewka was normally double breasted.
Gus

Wyliecoyote said:
Maybe you are thinking of the Joppe bluse? They were double breasted, mostly.

OK........ back to the Haube........I vote one of these George. Filz w/ brass fittings as you can see the spike and chicken are brass, not flat grey color. T

fgh07.jpg

If you ask me (which you should not) the brads that secure the sides of the brass trim are not visible on the picture. Beeing round, would they not give a bright reflection? Perhaps Joe can do the Photoshop trick and have a look..

Well guess so :oops:

Regarding how reflective the other parts are I thought they would shine more. Probably it really is a brass trim.

Just out of curiosity, which forum members collect this kind of photo?

The reason I ask is that I have an interest in photos of soldiers armed with this type of rifle. I have a website dedicated to photographes and discussion of the historical significance of rifles of this type and the Imperial German soldiers who were armed with them from 1888 to the end of Imperial Germany in 1918.

I would like to extend an invitation to any member of this forum (a member prior to today) that is interested, and I will pm you the link. Just sound off here.

Geo

Hey George,
I just noticed that this Gew 88 does not have the cover on the bottom of the magazine, do you think this soldier lost it, or is it a rifle still set up for the Mannlicher clip system?
Best wihses
Gus

It is truthfully hard to say.

1.) There were many 88's that were still in the original form that were still in use, as well as many G88/S rifles that were never modified and they could not use the cover, because it blocked the packet clip from dropping out the bottem after the last round was ejected.

2.) Supposedly these covers were unpopular, although personally I don't understand why. They are not easily taken off, so they should have held on reliably, and they keep mud and debris out of the rifle. Can't remember where I read that one.

3.) Author Hans Dieter Gotz in his book German Army Rifles & Machine Pistols 1871-1945, put total production of the magazine covers at 75K pieces. Considering there were around 500,000 88's still in use by the Alte Armee, you just can not say for sure.

Back