Filzhaube 1915 patten

Steve Nick

I thought I'd share my Ersatz Filzhaube 1915 patten complete with rear spine and front visor trim and removable spike.

I've had this one for many years. I tried to focus on the 1895 pattern for enlisted ranks but picked up a few pieces to illustrate the evolution of German Army Headgear. I figured this one was about as good as it gets to show the use of felt as a substitute material.

It has no issue marks. In fact there are no marks on it anywhere with the exception of the maker’s label - C.G. Wilkie – Guben

I expect that this helmet was never issued.

Attachments

• DSC_1261 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1261 Re-Sized.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 1,708
  • DSC_1260 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1260 Re-Sized.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 1,708
  • DSC_1256 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1256 Re-Sized.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 1,708
  • DSC_1255 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1255 Re-Sized.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 1,708
  • DSC_1252 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1252 Re-Sized.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 1,708
Hi Steve,

That one is a real beauty, in absolute pristine condition! Congratulations! \:D/ =D>

I'm still looking for a nice example like this one with gray metal trim on it. I have several with brass trim, but not a gray trim one yet.

Thanks for sharing it with us! :thumb up:

Best Wishes,

Alan

Thanks for your comments everyone.

The only "flaw" with this one is the little deformation in the rear visor. I've been tempted to try re-forming it. So far I've left it alone. With my luck I'd wind up making it worse.

That is a very nice example and I wouldn’t mess with it. I have steamed these in the past and fixed depressed tops but that minor problem is not worth the risk. My opinion :) .

Nice felt and they are my favorite pickelhaubes.

I know a little about fixing them.

The rear visor is an easy fix and will not harm the helmet.
You do need a former or hat strtcher to keep the original shape.
They sell all of the time on ebay and are around $40-$60

Here is one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hat-Stretcher/193431581833?hash=item2d096bb489:g:~xAAAOSwkBtebqH3

Cover your former with paper towels and place helmet on top and over the former and tighten .
Make little rolls of paper towels and stuff them between the former and rear bill until you get the right shape.
Then put it on a shelf and wait.
It took over 100 years to disfigure it may take a couple of months to get back to right.

I have a felt now that had a sunken dome and I have that helm in traction as we speak.
It has been there for about a month and I will give it another month before I check it.

Back