Finally a helmet from DR9 METZ M94/99

CLOVIS 57

Due to its feats of arms during the siege of Metz in August 1870, the DR9 (1st Hanoverian Dragoon Regiment) was garrisoned in Metz by Emperor William I in 1873. The helmet was Prussian standard, decorated of the dragon eagle in gilded brass. I was able to acquire such a helmet (M60-67) many years ago.

DR 9 M60 avt 99.jpgDR 9 M60 Göhrde WaterloPeninsula.jpgDR 9 M60 nominatif.jpg
.For several decades, I have cherished the hope of one day owning an M94/99 model, that is to say the model with the sides posts and especially the eagle of the Hanover Dragons with its 3 Waterloo-Peninsula-Göhrde banners. In addition, I came across a trumpeter by chance with his Trichter and his red horsehair Haarbusch. The 2 helmets were assigned to the 1st squadron.
DR9 M 94-99 trompette Metz.JPG
DR9 M94 Hanov trompette.JPG

DR9 M94 Péninsule de GöhrdeWaterlo.JPG

William I wanted to make Metz the showcase of the Second Reich, facing France. This is why he garrisoned the DR9 from Hanover, and created the KIR145, the "King's" regiment, the only infantry regiment to carry the soaring eagle of the LinienGrenadier.

Last edited:
Because of its feats of arms during the siege of Metz in August 1870, the DR9 (1st Hanoverian Dragoon Regiment) was garrisoned in Metz by Kaiser Wilhelm I in 1873. The helmet was of Prussian standard, adorned with the gilded brass dragon eagle. I was able to acquire such a helmet (M60-67) many years ago.

View attachment 44818View attachment 44819View attachment 44820

For several decades now, I've been cherishing the hope of one day owning an M94/99 model, i.e. the model with the post sides and, above all, the Hanover Dragons eagle with its 3 Waterloo-Peninsula-Göhrde banners. What's more, I happened to come across a trumpeter with his Trichter and Haarbusch of red horsehair. The 2 helmets were assigned to the 1st squadron.
View attachment 44825
View attachment 44826

View attachment 44827

Wilhelm 1 wanted to make Metz the showcase of the 2nd Reich. That's why he garrisoned the DR9 from Hanover, and created the KIR145, the “King's” regiment, the only infantry regiment to bear the soaring eagle of the LinienGrenadier.
I like the Dragoons
You have a super nice D R 9
I also like the K I R 145 that you wrote about
I have an officers example
and an e m Kammer helmet from 1906 before the wide winged eagle
then another e m helmet with the "new " wide winged eagle and the soldiers
name tag inside of the helmet
SteveK I R 145 Officer McFarland collection.jpegKIR 145  1906.JPGKIR 145 1906 Kammer.JPGKIR 145 WWE.JPGKIR 145 WWE inside.jpg

Hallo,

I think this helmet has the wrong Haarbusch...

Regulations stipulate that the length of parade plumes worn by cavalry EM and, as a general rule, mounted troops EM (including artillery) must be such that the bottom of the plume is in line with the helmet visor. Unlike the plumes worn in infantry units, in which the bottom of the plume must be in a straight line with the seam of the visor. So here we have an infantry musician's parade plume mounted on a cavalry helmet.

Philippe

Hello Philippe,
I know this regulation, and I had seen this detail. I agree with you. Except that a cavalry Trichter doesn't go on an infantry spike, and vice versa. That's because the “chimney” with a Dragon point, is topped by a ring. As usual, I'll be taking photos as soon as I can.

In the meantime, here's a photo from the period, showing a Busch not quite up to standard, in this Dragon 21.
DR21 Bade Parade.jpg
Here's a GFAR (according to the legend!!), the outfit, the belt etc... On the other hand, flat scales... and very, very short Busch.
G_FAR1.jpg

Infra, a 115th Hessian infantry...with a Busch the length of a DR23!!!
Hes 115 LIR 0ff.jpg
I have others...
that show the gap between theory and practice... :unsure:

Last edited:
Here's a demonstration of the Trichter set to Dragon Point. The ring containing the screw caps the chimney's ring termination.
Infantry” and ‘artillery’ Trichters are different.

Attachments

• P1010433.JPG
    P1010433.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • P1010434.JPG
    P1010434.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • P1010436.JPG
    P1010436.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
Back