Fixing a Tear On Your Felt Hat

pickelhauben

I have repaired about 5 felts with this method .

It is safe and easy .

Materials

1. Thick gap filling CA glue
2. Zip kicker
3. 120 sand paper aprx 2" x 2"
3. Felt tipped pens . Greens , yellow, brown, gray and black. Permanent works the best.
4. Third hand if available but not required .

Step 1. Pinch the tear to be repaired together were you want it . With third hand run a thin bead of glue on the tear. Open slightly to let the glue flow into the tear then hold it tightly again.

Step 2. As you are holding the tear together spritz the zip kicker on the glue bead to instantly set it.
THE ZIP KICKER WILL NOT STAIN THE FELT . I HAVE REPAIRED 5 HELMETS WITH NO ISSUES.

Step 3. Turn helmet over and run a tight bead of glue on the inside of the tear. Spritz.

Step 4. After the glue is hard use your 120 grit sand paper and fold it in half. Using the folded edge tryto sand the glue joint only. Be careful to try and not hit the felt. The result should be a white slightly rough joint .

In some cases this may be all that is required and could be the final step. In some cases ( because of a bigger tear ) you need to go to step 5.

Step 5. An artist's eye may help but study the color of the felt and see if it is light green . Start with the green pen . Using the point, pepper the join ( best with a gray green color ) if you do not have that color , using just the point pepper with the gray color between the green dots.
While the ink is still dry you may want to blend the colors with your finger being careful not to get any on the felt. Or you can just leave the dots and try to cover the white . In some cases you may not want to cover all of the white.
Do a little at a time and do not try to color the tear join at one time .
Hold the helmet about a foot away from you .
Does the repair look too green ? Use more gray . Does it look to gray ? Use more green.
Not brown enough ? Use the brown. Remember dot dot dot.
Need to go lighter ? Try the yellow.
Still need to go lighter ? Use the sand paper ever so lightly.

Too light ? Touch a little black and blend with your finger ( EASY WITH THE BLACK A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY )

If you are unsure of your coloring and want to practice. Remove the spike and use a drop of the CA glue under were the spike will cover it.

A 1/4 spot will do to practice. Remember to sand it white . If you blow it the first time of color matching. Sand the spot and try again . Repeat till you get it right.

It is a easy repair !!

Pontiac9999 said:
Post some before and after pics!

Unfortunately I never took any before pics but I have a few after.

Here we have a Wurt the front is fine but there was about a 2 inch horizontal rip here the dome hits the back visor.

Here is a Prussian with a apprx 1-1/4 rip in chip in the front visor.

When I got it the rip was 1/2 inch at it's widest looking horrible.

Now it is a shadow.

The rip went from the bead up to the left buckle . You can just make it out..

Back