Flags of I R 94

I forgot there is only 1 flag .it might be Batl. IV as the pole top is a cypher .Good helmet detail .The
soldier on the right appears to wear only a Prussian line eagle ?
Steve

Re soldier on the right, that was my first impression too but if you enlarge it I believe he does have the correct pre war wappen. As shown by the shadow, the sunlight is coming from his left side and I believe his helmet is shaded. The officer has a very tall 1890’s spike on his helmet as well.

IR94.JPG

Steve,

wonderful photograph. The colour party officer is Leutnant Askan Wolfram von Einem (8.12.96-5.12.15). The unfortunate young Wolfram was wounded in the cervical vertebrae at Stolnicki in central Poland on 13 May 1915. Presumably returned to the Ersatz battalion to recuperate, he eventually succumbed to his injuries in Weimar on 5 December 1915. Commissioned without a patent on 8 May 1915. Probably taken in the late summer of 1915.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn ;
More great information . Any way to know the name of the Fahnentrager ? I see that he is wearing a black belt .
Does that make him a Fusilier ? I assumed he was IV Batl due to cyphered pole top .However I did not check to see
about a IV Batl for I R 94
Steve

Steve,

IR 94 lost its IV. battalion along with the rest of the infantry a couple of decades earlier. I think a more likely explanation is that the former IV. Battalion’s colour was taken into use by the replacement battalion. The Fahnenträger will be rather difficult if not impossible to identify I am afraid.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn ;
I show that the IV Batl got it's new flag in 1894 .
The first 3 Batls. all had 1870 Iron Cross pole tops
The photo has to be after 1. Jan. 1900 as the flag
carries the 1900 Banderole
A cyphered pole top would not be correct for either
of the first 3 Batls.
Steve

Hi Steve,

of course it is after 1900, it was taken during WW1. As I said above, I should think the war-time created Ersatz-Bataillon have taken the former IV. Bataillon flag out of moth balls for use.

Regards
Glenn

Great wappen T, I love those Fuerst plates with the extra star burst and ducal arms! A question about the medals being worn by von Einem. I see an Iron cross 2nd class and another round medal underneath. I always thought that the EK was only worn on the day of being awarded and thereafter just the ribbon in the button hole? Just wondering why decorations are being worn in this manner. Again, I know very little about medals and how they were worn.

Look at the medal that the Fahnentrager is wearing .I think the officer is wearing
the same medal .Only the top bar is under his Iron Cross ?
Steve

Both Leutnant von Einem and the Fahnenträger are wearing the Allgemeine Ehrenzeichen "Dem Verdienste1914" mit Schwerten (General honour decoration "for merit 1914" with swords. I am assuming it is (at least in Lt. von Einem's case), the bronze class as he does not appear in the rolls of the gold or silver class which are published. A decoration for NCOs and soldiers, Leutnant von Einem would have been awarded his medal as a Fähnrich. One can only speculate what the occasion was, perhaps a "swearing in ceremony" for the recruits of the replacement battalion.

Regards
Glenn

AEZX.JPG

Back