Found in South Africa

It would be helpful to know if you have any history on this helmet as far as ownership post WWI goes. The top does not go with the helmet; it looks as if it's from a pith helmet of some sort. I'm sure somebody here could name a probable origin. The plate is Bavarian, but looks to be wired onto the metal body through the tails. This makes me think it may not be original to the helmet either. I can imagine that you don't want to take the plate off because of the fragile nature of the brass and wire, but a view of the inside of the helmet would be helpful. Also, photos of the sides, back and any markings.
Replicas of these metal helmets have flooded the market lately, but I think you probably have an original shell with a plate that may or may not be original to the helmet. The attachment of the plate is incorrect, so it may have been 'wired on' after WWI in SA, or maybe even during the war to attach a plate (maybe just ANY plate) to the helmet.

:D Ron

Indeed, there are several issues with this helmet as already pointed out and therefore more information is desirable such as, for example, regimental markings or a manufacturer stamp. These markings can be found in the inside of the helmet if present. Hence, detailed pictures of the inside are needed.

Best regards,

Edwin

In my opinion, the shell is obviously original because of its condition and we can see the typical lathe markings in the metal. Probably, the original wappen on this was Prussian and thus the need to solder different wires to attatch it. We really do need as has been said side pics of the kokarden and of course the interior

I am very sorry, but I do not have any more information about the helmet. The friend from SA, to whose family it belongs told me that nobody knows where it came from.

Thanks anyway for your assistance :)

b.loree said:
In my opinion, the shell is obviously original because of its condition and we can see the typical lathe markings in the metal

I would like to point out that the lathe markings are from the stamping dies, not directly from a lathe. It is possible that these ridges were left in the dies to aid as the helmet was being drawn in the pressing process.
Best
Gsu

Gustaf said:
b.loree said:
In my opinion, the shell is obviously original because of its condition and we can see the typical lathe markings in the metal

I would like to point out that the lathe markings are from the stamping dies, not directly from a lathe. It is possible that these ridges were left in the dies to aid as the helmet was being drawn in the pressing process.
Best
Gsu

I, for one, didn't know that! I think the concentric look of the rings suggests that these were turned over a pattern or form, hence the misconception.

poniatowski said:
Gustaf said:
b.loree said:

Best
Gsu

I, for one, didn't know that! I think the concentric look of the rings suggests that these were turned over a pattern or form, hence the misconception.

Hey Ron, This was once the belief in the Pickelhaube collecting circle, one of our former members even described this as being the way they were produced on his web site until I questioned the logic of it. Close examination of the helmet and the expense of using that sort of manufacturing method rules out any possibility of lathe marks being left on the helmet by a lathe. What is not fully understood by me is whether the lines were left in the stamping dies to speed up the delivery of the dies, or if they were left there to help grab the sheet metal and help in the forming process.
Best
Gus

Back