Fraternal or militia?

joerookery

I get a lot of e-mails asking questions. I have no idea what this is. Do any of you?
view.JPG
side.JPG
wappen.JPG

On the top of the wappen, is missing a crown, it's broken.
The pics are not good, but I think we can see Bavarian heraldry on the flags.
Otto

The wappen resembles a Swedish wappen but I don't think they used that type of spike.

I think this a variant or modified version of the spike helmets used by the Spanish Calvary Honor guard.

John

John, I think you win a prize.

Armed ( excuse the pun) with what you found out I went to -was a random
guess- the Madrid palace cavalry guard site. Very little information about them and only one picture. I added a picture that if you magnify will see that the helmet wappen may be close. I also with your Spanish thoughts, sent the pix to a helmet dealer I found on line in spain, he was thrilled to see it and almost sure the wappen was the badge of King Alfonso X11 -1880 to
1900- he was protected by the "San Carlos Order" an almost but not quite military bodyguard. No known artifacts exsist from that unit so he suggested I write to the Madrid Amory museum.
I sent the pix off to the Madrid armory museum and may be they will have an answer.
If they reply, and if they have an answer I will for sure inform you.

It is a Spanish helmet of the guard, I have one from the Lancers of the guard but it has a parade bush instead of a spike, the crown was removed during the Spanish revolution and the helmets were thrown about in corners of basements, very rare helmet that can fetch a good price if they have all the parts. My model is from around the time of the Spanish American war. Ive got some info laying around somewhere if you are looking for some more details.

Michael Muth

Sorry i ment to say Spansih civil war, and my helmet has a longer lobster tail and its chinscales. very few of these around

Back