French Chasseur type helmet

poniatowski

I can't remember if I posted this or not, but this might be a good place to re-post this if I have.
Picked this up at a flea market many years ago. It had been sawed in half as a decorator piece. Using silver solder, I put it back together, re-lined it and gave it a new horse hair plume. :)

As found: (this was two mirror-image halves)

Taken apart, ready to restore. The comb had to be un-soldered before silver soldering, so it didn't all fall apart during the heating of the metal. It was then re-soldered using the solder that was already there... I don't recall adding any.

On display. It's difficult to see the horse hair, but it was replaced to about 12 inches under the cape of the helmet. If I can find a photo of it (so it can be seen) I'll post it.

A close-up so you can see the seam. The steel helmet and brass are both soldered separately then assembled.

:D Ron

You did a great job on it .
I am not sure
that if you did not tell us that
that I would have never noticed that
you put it back together

Steve

You did a great job restoring this helmet. Like KAGGR#1said, i wouldn't have noticed the helmet the helmet was sawed in half before if you didn't said it.

Pickelhaube

Yes an excellent piece of workmanship. One would never know that it had been "halved"!

Back