French cuirassier helmet - WWI

aterrasse

Dear All,

I have just acquired this French cuirassier helmet for an enlisted man. The helmet is of the 1974 type and was used until the end of 1915 by French cavalry forces.

Not so frequent to come across in good condition nowdays!

The little bit on the top (marmouset) looks pretty neat to me and certainly original to the piece. Nice original chinscales with the leather strap linking both ends still present and strong. The interior is also in pretty good condition and complete. Standing next to its counterpart (French gendarmerie 1912 type) it looks quite impressive!

I would leave to hear your expert comments on that one!

Thanks

Alex

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

Nice helmet. It is worth noting that the Parisian fire department helmets were modeled after these, and the Adrian steel combat helmet was modeled after the Parisian fire department helmet...

I bring this up because many times I hear, "the Adrian was the first modern combat helmet," and that is only half the story!

The adrian is the first modern combat helmet eh! that is a bold statement! What is the criteria for being a modern combat helmet. If it is mass produced, uniform, protective headgear, I take it that it leaves the thousands of years of helmet evolution before that i.e Roman legionaries, or even perhaps earlier. Id like to meet the fellow who uttered that comment.

I don't know if Doctor Bashford Dean, author Floyd Tubbs or just collectors are responsible for the opinion about the Adrian. But it is fairly common, and this is highlighted in numerous books.

Again, I find it to tell only half the truth. But then again another fanciful tale is that French soldiers wore soup bowls on their heads! This is the truth turned upside down. I believe the truth is that the French devised a skull cap, it was uncomfortable and thus used to eat with instead! Hence it became a soup bowl!

very nice currasier halmet.
As for the Adrian I think Modern mean's modern .Even Roman helmet's were not all co,,opn made and the same shape.
Mark

Back