FRENCH DETAILLE TRIAL HELMET

stuka f

Found thise quiet rare helmet offered for sale.
Any thoughts?
Code: 55182 on
http://www.regimentals.co.uk/shop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a direct link, but I don't know if is still available:
http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewphoto.php?shoph=55182&phqu=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, for the direct link, but I 'll wait for more info, cause I wouldn't buy blindly from that source!

It looks very much like the other examples I've seen in books, including Casque Militaires Francais Du XX Siecle, by Roland Hennequin. That example is in a museum. However, in Paolo Marzetti's Elmetti there is one that could be this exact helmet, but says only "Private Collection"). Over the years I've bought a couple of helmets, which were in private collections and I think they are the exact helmets in the book. That said that one on Regimentals could be good.

What stands out to me is that this helmet is one of many that suggests that the European armies had been thinking about helmets in advance of World War I. I'm one that doesn't believe the soup bowl story. I'm sorry but I want to know why a French soldier would have a soup bowl and why it would fit his head so perfectly. I maintain that the skull cap was instead used as a bowl as it was terrible as a helmet.

But regardless I do like the look of the French helmet. I think it is legit, and hopefully if they haven't sold it the helmet will show up at SOS.

According to Christian Tavard, in "Casques et Coiffures Militaires Francais" (Grancher 1981), this trial helmet is the "bourguignotte", modele 1912. Interestingly these helmets were not designed by military engineers but by Edgar Detaille and Georges Scott, two famous painters specializing in military themes/pictures of battles.
Bruno

Peter_Suciu said:
It looks very much like the other examples I've seen in books, including Casque Militaires Francais Du XX Siecle, by Roland Hennequin. That example is in a museum. However, in Paolo Marzetti's Elmetti there is one that could be this exact helmet, but says only "Private Collection"). Over the years I've bought a couple of helmets, which were in private collections and I think they are the exact helmets in the book. That said that one on Regimentals could be good.

What stands out to me is that this helmet is one of many that suggests that the European armies had been thinking about helmets in advance of World War I. I'm one that doesn't believe the soup bowl story. I'm sorry but I want to know why a French soldier would have a soup bowl and why it would fit his head so perfectly. I maintain that the skull cap was instead used as a bowl as it was terrible as a helmet.

But regardless I do like the look of the French helmet. I think it is legit, and hopefully if they haven't sold it the helmet will show up at SOS.

Yes indeed. Tavard shows two pages full of pictures of these various French trial helmets tested between 1870 and 1914.
And... ooops, sorry, I meant of course Edouard - not Edgar - Detaille, but everybody will have rectified right away...

Back