French First Empire Helmet?

Maple Creek

I'm in discussion with a fellow who is offering this helmet for sale. He thinks it's a French First Empire piece. I realize this is a VERY tricky field to venture into and it's out of my area of expertise.

One thing I've learned is that nearly all helmets made after the fall of the First Empire had metal crests with inverted teardrops which this one appears to have.

It appears to be a genuinely old piece, but what exactly is it?

I'm trying to decide on a reasonable price to offer.

I've been begging the seller to send good pictures, but this is the best he's been able to provide.

Can anybody help me out?

Mark D.

This is a helmet for a Garde du Corps du Roy. Period is 1st Restauration (not 1st Empire!).

Bruno

Mark, as you can see the prominent sign in the center of the front plate is the "Fleur de Lys", the symbol of monarchy, therefore this cannot be from the 1st Empire. 1st Restauration - return to monarchy - immediately followed the fall of Napoleon the 1st.
I hope this helps,
Bruno

The helmet is 1814, Guard National. It's in a rather shabby state. I have two of these for sale/trade. What is the owner asking for it.

minihelmets said:
The helmet is 1814, Guard National. It's in a rather shabby state. I have two of these for sale/trade. What is the owner asking for it.

In fact this helmet was for a Garde du Corps du Roy (King's Guard). This is different from the Garde Nationale, even opposite: the Garde Nationale was created during the 1st French Revolution by revolutionaries and had little to do with the protection of the King... The Garde Nationale was maintained for a while during Restauration and then dissolved. It was reformed later and played important roles in later French revolutionary conflicts of the 19th century.

911car said:
This is a helmet for a Garde du Corps du Roy. Period is 1st Restauration (not 1st Empire!).

Bruno

Bruno, This reinfoces information I got from another collector friend: "I can't state with certainty, but this helm certainly appears to be of the Garde du Corps de la Maison du Roi (imperial guard of the royal house), ca. 1815-1820. So this rare casque is of the Restoration--immediately after the First Empire."

So maybe it's a little "shabby" but might be a nice thing to have on my desk! :D I'll post photos if I land the thing.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Mark D.

Back