French Intervention in Mexico 1862-1866, CDV & Medal

Larmo

Hi Guys

There is zero Imperial German content here, but I thought you all might enjoy seeing this period Carte de Visite image of a young, highly decorated, French officer who served in the campaigns in Mexico during the French Intervention. As you can see he suffered a terrible wound with the loss of his right arm. Upon his return to France he had his image taken in Paris and sent this photo as an affectionate momento to his Aunt.

His awards include the Legion of Honor, Military Medal, Order of Guadalupe (Emperor Maximillian), perhaps the Italian Campaign Medal of 1866 and lastly the Mexican Campaign Medal.

The medal shown is not his, but I believe typical of the era with the eagle and crossed stripes woven into the fabric of the ribbon.

To me this period is quite fascinating, the French Army was regarded as the finest in the world at the time and our own US Army adopted many near identical patterns of French equipment, uniforming and weaponry during the mid 19th century.

Louis Napoleon and the French Army were quite busy during his reign with campaigns to the Crimea, China, Italy, Mexico and finally the 1870-1871 War. I am very much a student of this era with much to learn but I find the French items to be as appealing as the the German.

Larry
cdv1v.jpg
cdv3.jpg

cdv4.jpg

But this is wonderful! I really would love to own this. Have you read Showalter's book on the Wars of German Unification? In his discussion of this era he explains things about the French commissioning system and the French NCOs before the Franco Prussian war with insights I had not previously known. I enjoyed it. He does seem to be a master of quotations!
max_mexico.jpg
charlotte_mexico.jpg

Hey Joe

Real glad you liked him and those are two wonderful images of The Emperor and Empress of Mexico, truly, two tragic historical figures.

The legend tells of Maximillians request for the then popular song La Paloma to be played before his execution. Here is a youtube link for a very nice rendition of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzylWz92cFA&feature=related It's a lovely, haunting melody and played quite well by the gentleman called "Old Bill".

Haven't read Showalter's book yet, but have read others which detail to some degree the French Army of the era.

Remember the 1960's movie Major Dundee with Charlton Heston and Richard Harris? Here's another link for the original trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBQQpcI-Hk fictitious to be sure but it was a great movie to watch and deals somewhat with the realities of the era. ATB

Larry

Back