French M15

911car

I thought I should share this, even though it is no Pickelhaube. Left is a classic French Dragon helmet, 1874 model. On the early WW1 helmet seen on the right (which could be a Cuirassier's as well as a Dragon's), all hair is gone and the ornate top has been replaced with a simple Adrian-type crest. The whole thing has been painted "bleu horizon" and the copper chinscales have been camouflaged with dull fabric covers.
I think this is interesting as it illustrates the adaptation to "modern" warfare of a headgear that had not significantly changed since Napoleonic wars.

Very nice and rare helmet! It has been on my wanted list for a long time now!
Malcolm Fisher had one recently, but..... :^o :-"
Thanks for sharing.
cheers
|<ris

Here is one for sale on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-FRENCH-MODELE-1915-CAVALRY-HELMET-PROTOTYPE-/151164700691?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item23321e4813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magnifficent helmet! Not my area of collecting, but I sure wouldn't mind having this beauty on my shelves!

Adler

Had a quick visit of the military museum in Brussels yesterday.
The tower was open to public, as thise doesn't happen very often, we grabbed that opportunity.
The tower holds a private collection that was given to the museum in it's early days and is well worth a visit.
Here is one of them, a other French prototype helmet;

Back